Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conanthewarrior

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
Hi everyone, my m1 pro 14 macbook pro is showing that its battery health is down to 84%. I find this odd as I only ever really use my mac connected to the mains so would like to check how many cycles the battery has gone through.

However, if I look for system report it brings up system settings and this doesn't tell me how many cycles the battery has had.

Thank you all for your help.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Hi everyone, my m1 pro 14 macbook pro is showing that its battery health is down to 84%. I find this odd as I only ever really use my mac connected to the mains so would like to check how many cycles the battery has gone through.

However, if I look for system report it brings up system settings and this doesn't tell me how many cycles the battery has had.

Thank you all for your help.

Menubar Apple symbol > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Power:

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 13.26.15.png

Plugged in all the time means it is sitting at 100% charge unless Apples Optimised Battery Charging is ON and it is actually working for you. It didn't work for me so I use AlDente or Energiza to limit max charge to about 60% which has kept my plugged in M1 MBA and current M2 MBA in the 98/100% max capacity range even after 18 months or so.

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
Menubar Apple symbol > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Power:

View attachment 2372072

Plugged in all the time means it is sitting at 100% charge unless Apples Optimised Battery Charging is ON and it is actually working for you. It didn't work for me so I use AlDente or Energiza to limit max charge to about 60% which has kept my plugged in M1 MBA and current M2 MBA in the 98/100% max capacity range even after 18 months or so.
OK it has had 155 cycles, is 84% bad for this amount of cycles?

Optimised charging is on but doesn't seem to work for me either, it did at one point but seems to pick and choose when to work.

I will have to try aldente, what percentage is best to go for to prolong battery health?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
OK it has had 155 cycles, is 84% bad for this amount of cycles?

Probably not if it has been sitting at 100% charge most of the time but I don't have any data to support this. Is that the Apple number or a third party (like Coconut) number? They are not the same. The third party number uses the ioreg parameter which can (and does) go up as well as down, and nearly always lower than the Apple number.

I will have to try aldente, what percentage is best to go for to prolong battery health?

As discussed in this thread, 50% is the optimum value, but I use 60/70% as a compromise between optimum and having enough charge on hand to use as a portable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.