Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I bought an iPhone 6s on Swappa that said it was a T-Mobile version, but all 3 of my T-Mobile SIM cards from other phones displayed on the phone that the SIM card was not supported. I am guessing maybe this iPhone is from Straight Talk or something like that, but not sure. Is there any way to look it up and know which it is locked to? Thanks!

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I bought an iPhone 6s on Swappa that said it was a T-Mobile version, but all 3 of my T-Mobile SIM cards from other phones displayed on the phone that the SIM card was not supported. I am guessing maybe this iPhone is from Straight Talk or something like that, but not sure. Is there any way to look it up and know which it is locked to? Thanks!
Does Settings > General > About > Network/Carrier offer any information? The Network and Carrier lines are toward the bottom of the page on my iPhone XR, may be different for 6s.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Does Settings > General > About > Network/Carrier offer any information? The Network and Carrier lines are toward the bottom of the page on my iPhone XR, may be different for 6s.
Under Network it says "Not Available".

I can activate the iPhone through WiFi. But as soon as I pop in a SIM, it goes to a startup screen and wont activate. That's where I get the "SIM Not Valid" message.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Under Network it says "Not Available".

I can activate the iPhone through WiFi. But as soon as I pop in a SIM, it goes to a startup screen and wont activate. That's where I get the "SIM Not Valid" message.
Ah,ok.. then it's entirely possible that I misunderstood the settings that I mentioned in my earlier post, they may not get populated at all until the carrier validates the phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Knowing the model number might help. Usually printed on the back.

Reactions: revmacian

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Find your iPhone IMEI Number. Once you found the IMEI number of your device, you can go to any CTIA-Accredited IMEI checker to get the information about your carrier lock status.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I just did a chat with Straight Talk. They indicated it's actually a Simple Mobile iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.