Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I used to use compressed Air to keep them clean ( cosmetically drives me crazy what can I say ) until I found out that Apple doesn't recommend it's use due to a potential degradation in the device's dust- and water- resistance. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to clean those speaker holes in the bottom of the iPhone? Thanks.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It's water resistant isn't it? I'm sure a small amount of water and a brush or cotton swap won't hurt it

Tell that to the people that have walked in the rain with their 7 and it broke. Any water is a bad idea. A super soft brush is the best thing.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Use Scotch Tape. Wrap a small piece sticky-side up into a cone. Poke the top of the cone into hole, which will grab the lint.

It is time consuming to do this though. I did it once but stopped worrying about it.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I used to use compressed Air to keep them clean ( cosmetically drives me crazy what can I say ) until I found out that Apple doesn't recommend it's use due to a potential degradation in the device's dust- and water- resistance. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to clean those speaker holes in the bottom of the iPhone? Thanks.

How might a little spray of compressed air degrade the water and dust resistance and if it does how strong can the IP-67 rating on it really be? And just for my knowledge can you post where apple says this?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I find blue tack cleans the grills perfectly. My 9 month old 6S has zero lint inside all the grills and it looks as new/clean as the day I got it. If you are to use my my method, make sure you stick a cold(ish) lump of blue tack onto a coaster or some other flat surface before pushing your phone quickly onto it and removing it a second or two after - do this otherwise the blue tack may stick to the grill itself.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
How might a little spray of compressed air degrade the water and dust resistance and if it does how strong can the IP-67 rating on it really be? And just for my knowledge can you post where apple says this?

What should I do if dust gets on my iPhone?
If dust or dirt gets on your iPhone, wipe it off with a soft, lint-free cloth—for example, a lens cloth. Make sure that your iPhone is free of dust before opening the SIM tray. Don't use cleaning products or compressed air.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
What should I do if dust gets on my iPhone?
If dust or dirt gets on your iPhone, wipe it off with a soft, lint-free cloth—for example, a lens cloth. Make sure that your iPhone is free of dust before opening the SIM tray. Don't use cleaning products or compressed air.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043

Hmmm.... Well what do you know it does say to not use compressed air but I don't see where it says it will compromise water and dust resistance. I'm still using my compressed air and until Apple adds water damage to the warranty I wont be getting my phone wet any time soon.

Last edited:

Illumiiinati

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2015
Putty worked for me.. I don't know what it called in ur city.. pressed on the top of the mesh. Success rate 90%

IamANiphoneEXPERT-not-

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2018
Just drop it in a lake or something probably will do the job /s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.