Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebally

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
London, UK
I bought an Airport Express so I could connect my stereo and printer to it and get wireless printing and stream iTunes music.

Everything was going fine until I recently found out that people were connecting to my wireless network in my house and using my internet connection. So I went to my router's setup page and made it so only devices with MAC address' I specify can log on to my Netgear Router.

But since doing that my Airport Express' light has started flashing amber. My question is how do I allow my Airport Express to connect to my Netgear Router? (And also does it have to?) Because I don't want to extend my wireless network, I just want to access the internet using my Netgear DG834GT and get wireless printing fom my Airport Express.

I tried using Apple's Airport setup in my Utilities folder, but it doesn't seem to find my Airport Express when scanning for networks.

Any help would be appreciated.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
You will use the airport setup to "join an exsisting wireless network" and NOT extent the range. So this will make the express become a wireless client, kinda like your computer.

When it gets to the part for scanning the network, you will have to manually enter the network info.
Also, if you are using MAC address filtering you will need to ad the "airport ID" to the router information

Soverc

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2005
Being that people have already used your network, I would go with WEP. If I had scanned your network in the past when I connected I could have captured your MAC's and then change my MAC to one that you allow.

My advice may only be for the truly paranoid tho.

ebally

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
London, UK
jane doe said:
You will use the airport setup to "join an exsisting wireless network" and NOT extent the range. So this will make the express become a wireless client, kinda like your computer.

When it gets to the part for scanning the network, you will have to manually enter the network info.
Also, if you are using MAC address filtering you will need to ad the "airport ID" to the router information

Thank you, it seems to have done the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.