Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTiki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Just purchased a new MacBook Pro M1 to replace my well served 17-inch, Mid 2010.

How do I copy my Keychains from old Mac to new Mac without iCloud?

Not doing a migration or restore from Time Machine in attempt to leave the cruft behind.

Have numerous passwords (for websites, apps, ssh, nas, itunes backups, etc...) stored in Mac Keychains and dread the idea of manually reentering them.

Was reading somewhere that Local Items cannot be exported, is that true?

I seem to be unable to select a Keychain item and then export via / File / Export Items... as that option is grayed out.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’d just use iCloud ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can turn it back off after the transfer, if you want.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Use Migration Assistant. Don’t worry about cruft. Or do as suggested above. After your clean setup is complete, turn on keychains sync, let it complete, then turn it off.

MacTiki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
I’d just use iCloud ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can turn it back off after the transfer, if you want.
Something about sending / storing my passwords with a third party, encrypted or not, doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

MacTiki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Use Migration Assistant. Don’t worry about cruft. Or do as suggested above. After your clean setup is complete, turn on keychains sync, let it complete, then turn it off.
From what I have read Migration Assistant does not transfer Keychain Local Items.

MacTiki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
why not export your passwords in .csv format to a usb stick, then you can re-import them when you setup your new device …
Unless these is some hidden feature it sounds like you have not attempted to use keychain management.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Use the Keychain Access utility to export and then import your passwords.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.