Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
If you don't want to be a member here anymore, don't bother logging in and posting. Real simple. No need for a mod to do that which you can do on your own.

that's a very inclusive attitude and im sure will encourage him to stick around! i cant imagine why somebody would want to leave when they get answers like that.

BTW, thanks OP because I literally just came here for the exact same reason. this place *(&@#*(& sucks now, and ive been coming here for 15 years.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
that's a very inclusive attitude and im sure will encourage him to stick around! i cant imagine why somebody would want to leave when they get answers like that.

BTW, thanks OP because I literally just came here for the exact same reason. this place *(&@#*(& sucks now, and ive been coming here for 15 years.
He already had his mind made up. No need to debate him.

This is a great forum. If you don’t like the forum anymore, you don’t have to post. No need to be dramatic about it.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
You’re letting PRSI get to you. There are plenty of other places on here that you’ll likely fit into. I suggest browsing around.

What does "PRSI" stand for. Maybe I don't want to be around either if it's catching...

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I actually did the opposite for probably the same reason. Let me explain ...

For ages I didn't bother creating an account here, and even after I did to post once, I didn't bother logging in again. However, the fact that once logged in there are options to block sub forums (PRSI in my case) now means I log in every time I come to this site.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Phonephreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2017
Here and there

Enjoy where ever you end up

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
If you don't want to be a member here anymore, don't bother logging in and posting. Real simple. No need for a mod to do that which you can do on your own.

What kind of attitude is this?
I am pretty sure the OP has a legal right to have his account deleted, therefore his request sounds pretty reasonable and acceptable to me.
[automerge]1591096267[/automerge]
No need to debate him.

Then don't.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What kind of attitude is this?
I am pretty sure the OP has a legal right to have his account deleted, therefore his request sounds pretty reasonable and acceptable to me.
[automerge]1591096267[/automerge]

Then don't.

Agreed, he has a perfect right to delete his account, and to request this of the mods and staff.

However, what is a matter of small surprise is that he has chosen to do so publicly, when it is perfectly possible to achieve this result with a private, written communication.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Agreed, he has a perfect right to delete his account, and to request this of the mods and staff.

However, what is a matter of small surprise is that he has chosen to do so publicly, when it is perfectly possible to achieve this result with a private, written communication.
It's not entirely obvious on this site on how one goes about the process of deleting their account. (And some people may want their account deactivated/deleted for their own reasons rather than laying dormant) Those are active and involved on this site and know the existing process, know they can click on the support button for the "contact us" link.

And while all of this is documented, (imo) not everybody will take the time to go through the site to find the relevant information.

It may just be easier to ask the question in a forum.

Last edited:

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011

I agree with the sentiment. But the guy should be able to tell companies to remove any personal information they have about him from their databases. A simple example is if he doesn’t want them emailing him, them just being like “we won’t!” often isn’t enough because I’ve been emailed by plenty of companies who I’ve contacted and told to stop contacting me. Their lazy IT departments ignore procedures the company has set up and they email me anyway...

Reactions: Peter K. and 26139

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
I agree with the sentiment. But the guy should be able to tell companies to remove any personal information they have about him from their databases. A simple example is if he doesn’t want them emailing him, them just being like “we won’t!” often isn’t enough because I’ve been emailed by plenty of companies who I’ve contacted and told to stop contacting me. Their lazy IT departments ignore procedures the company has set up and they email me anyway...
VERY easy answer here. When prompted for an email address, use a "garbage" email. I've got one with yahoo that I only use if I don't want to be hounded with a bunch of crap. Periodically I take a quick look at the server and delete up to 1000 garbage emails.

NOTE, recently I made a huge mistake on a clickbait item that asked for my email address up front. About 2 minutes into the presentation, I realized it was garbage, but they already had one of prized email addresses. Almost everyday I get 3 or 4 garbage scams. I've dumped that address for all financial links that I have plus anything else. Don't know how to delete it (gmail) so I guess it will fill up into the thousands of garbage emails.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
[MOD NOTE]
A number of posts were removed as they had little to do with deleting an account. Please stay on topic.

Please delete all messages I ever posted on macrumors's forums and also delete my account. I'm European and I am protected under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Do your homework, you need to do that upon my request. I'm tired of being silenced and reprimanded here.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Please delete all messages I ever posted on macrumors's forums and also delete my account. I'm European and I am protected under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Do your homework, you need to do that upon my request. I'm tired of being silenced and reprimanded here.

Here is a FAQ explaining how we close accounts. Please look it over then send a request in to the admins using this form.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
I too cannot stand the PRSI section. I have posted there once or twice since being admonished by mods a year or two back. Very easy to get baited into posting there. That aside, I am curious why there is no option to delete? Sorry if that has been clearly covered - I just didn't seem to locate where this was discussed. With all do respect to the moderators/operators of MR, the article in the Help Center link does not address that question and really says "sucks to be you" if you want coimpletely remove your account. Is there a clear reason why an option to delete is not available outside of the listed reason for employment contract reasons?

Reactions: iOS Geek

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I too cannot stand the PRSI section. I have posted there once or twice since being admonished by mods a year or two back. Very easy to get baited into posting there. That aside, I am curious why there is no option to delete? Sorry if that has been clearly covered - I just didn't seem to locate where this was discussed. With all do respect to the moderators/operators of MR, the article in the Help Center link does not address that question and really says "sucks to be you" if you want coimpletely remove your account. Is there a clear reason why an option to delete is not available outside of the listed reason for employment contract reasons?

I wasn’t aware you had to give any reason to request an account deletion. Simply use the contact us link provided and request it.

Reactions: I7guy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there a clear reason why an option to delete is not available
Deleting your account could potentially impact countless discussions where a member participated, so having an option where a member chooses to delete their account is not provided. Additionally the registration agreement that you agreed to when you signed up, also states that your posts will remain if you decide to terminate the account

that you understand that your posts and the user name you select will be visible to the Internet and to search engines, that you are responsible for your own privacy in deciding what to post, and that your posts will remain visible even if you leave MacRumors or your account is closed for any reason.

Given those two reasons, if you wish to close your account and remove your personal details, then the administrators have to get involved as they can anonymize your account name and remove your personal details. You do not have to state any reasons why you wish to leave, other then you read the FAQ and wish to cancel the account

Reactions: annk

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
Deleting your account could potentially impact countless discussions where a member participated, so having an option where a member chooses to delete their account is not provided. Additionally the registration agreement that you agreed to when you signed up, also states that your posts will remain if you decide to terminate the account

Given those two reasons, if you wish to close your account and remove your personal details, then the administrators have to get involved as they can anonymize your account name and remove your personal details. You do not have to state any reasons why you wish to leave, other then you read the FAQ and wish to cancel the account

I understand now. Thank you.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I'm going to close this thread now because the initial question has been answered.

• Contact the staff via the Contact Us link if you want to close your account. We will cooperate with you.
  • There's information here about closing accounts.
  • The registration agreement makes clear that accounts are not completely deleted.* However, our anonymization process satisfies the legal right to be forgotten/GDPR and we cooperate with users who want their personal and identifying data removed.
  • Keep in mind that second registrations are not allowed, so if previous users would like to rejoin, they can contact us to let us know that they'd like their accounts reactivated.
* Quote from the registration agreement:

...you understand that your posts and the user name you select will be visible to the Internet and to search engines, that you are responsible for your own privacy in deciding what to post, and that your posts will remain visible even if you leave MacRumors or your account is closed for any reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.