Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi,

I'm want to digitize some old Video8 footage so it is on my Mac and I can edit it and make a DVD from it.

However, all I have is the Video8 tapes and not the video camera.

Firstly, I need to know how to play these back, I am told that you could place them in a 'carrier' cassette which would allow them to be played back through a VCR. Again, I don't know where to get hold of theses 'carrier' cassettes.

Also, I would like to know the best method of connecting a VCR to my Mac.

If anyone could recommend the hardware and software I need to capture the Video8 tapes I would be really grateful. I don't need editing or DVD creation software because I already have Final Cut and DVD Studio.

Thanks for any advice.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
The "carrier tape' you are describing sounds like VHS-C, which is a totally different format from video 8. As far as I know, you'd need a video-8 deck or the camcorder to play them.

In either case you'd then need an analog to digital converter to get it into you mac. I think apple used to sell a device like this through their store (it wasn't an apple product though).

Another option is to just get the tapes converted by a company that does tape duplication and the like.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
If they're really 8mm tape, (Super8 or Hi-8), you can put them in a Digital-8 camcorder and transfer them via FireWire. Good luck finding a D8 cam though, they aren't made anymore.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
the carrier would not let you play them in a VHS or DV machine, just another type of Video8 player

you will need to get/hire a machine that plays Video8, i think some of the later machines could play most of the video8 formats

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Sony still list the Handycam® TRV220 Digital8 on their web site, but it does not paly the old 8mm tapes.

If you can find a Handycam® TRV480, I think it will do the job.

The TRV 280 list on Sony.com for $279. IIRC the TRV480 was listing for $379 or there abouts.

Short of that you may can find something like the CCD-TRV138 and an Analog to DV Converter box like the one from Formac Studio This is what I use for VHS.
(also see http://www.macworld.com/2001/08/reviews/converters/index.php).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.