Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do I find and download all online only files in iCloud Drive?

• Yes, this is doable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, this isn't doable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

macuser151515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2016
I have iCloud Drive running on two macs, each of which has plenty of room on its hard drive, and I want all files to be downloaded to both machines. It seems that doing this isn't simple, and I would be very appreciative if anyone could help.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner and time machine on both machines, plus Crashplan on one machine. I want to be sure that all files are always downloaded to both machines. Having used iCloud Drive for a week, I see that sometimes when I create a file on one machine, it doesn't download files made to the other machine. CCC has a function to temporarily download and back up online only files. However, I don't want CCC to evict the files after downloading, and CCC's documentation says that there are limits to what this function can do. With all in mind, I have to questions: is there any way to see a complete list of all files that have been evicted. I have a large file hierarchy in iCloud drive with many nested folders that holds all of the files I use. Would a cloud icon with a down arrow there indicate that there are some online only files within this hierarchy? Would clicking on this necessarily download all of the online only files in the hiearchy, even if they are many levels down? Would searching for "*.icloud" reveal all of the online only files? Is there any utility that would find and download the online only files automatically?

I read this thread, but I would prefer not to have buy new software and make an extra copy of everything in iCloud drive.

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.