Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I live in a 2-story apartment, with the router downstairs.

WiFi is weak upstairs but I have an ethernet cable running to my Cinema Display. When I connect my Mac to the display, both WiFi and Ethernet (through the Cinema Display) are connected but I think the Mac using the WiFi as its primary source, making it slow. How do I force it to use the Ethernet connection over WiFi without turning off WiFi?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
that link is now disconnected - what was that answer?
https://web.archive.org/web/20150221165428/http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10971

A newer version of the document is here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21578
The summary is that it gives information on how to set network service order:

• Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network.
  • Click the Action pop-up menu
    IL_ActionButton_osx.png
    , then choose Set Service Order.
  • Drag a service, such as Ethernet, to the top of the list.
  • Click OK, then click Apply to make the new settings active.

Reactions: ManNBlack

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
https://web.archive.org/web/20150221165428/http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10971

A newer version of the document is here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21578
The summary is that it gives information on how to set network service order:

• Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network.
  • Click the Action pop-up menu
    IL_ActionButton_osx.png
    , then choose Set Service Order.
  • Drag a service, such as Ethernet, to the top of the list.
  • Click OK, then click Apply to make the new settings active.

Would be so cool if this worked. None of my macs, 2016 MacBook Pro and 2017 iMac honor this. The only way to workaround it is to turn WiFi off. Otherwise they refuse to use the Ethernet connection.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Would be so cool if this worked. None of my Macs, 2016 MacBook Pro and 2017 iMac, honor this. The only workaround it is to turn Wi-Fi off. Otherwise, they refuse to use the Ethernet connection.
Yea, I've noticed that. After prioritizing Ethernet, when I'm transferring files to my headless mini with both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connected, turning off Wi-Fi doubles the transfer speed. Never could figure out why.

Reactions: marvin_h

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Was a solution ever found to this? I'm getting the same - with both on it seems to prioritise WiFi over Ethernet even though I have set the Service Order.

I notice that if I turn WiFi off, then turn it back on again, Ethernet will continue to be used. But as soon as the system is restarted, or is woken from sleep, it seems to prioritise WiFi again, and I have to switch WiFi off and on again......

I like to keep WiFi on as well so as I sometimes take images or scan docs with my phone, which needs WiFi to be enabled......

Reactions: ReneeReader

corwinlegendre

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
Was a solution ever found to this? I'm getting the same - with both on it seems to prioritise WiFi over Ethernet even though I have set the Service Order.

I notice that if I turn WiFi off, then turn it back on again, Ethernet will continue to be used. But as soon as the system is restarted, or is woken from sleep, it seems to prioritise WiFi again, and I have to switch WiFi off and on again......

I like to keep WiFi on as well so as I sometimes take images or scan docs with my phone, which needs WiFi to be enabled......

Yup, I'm here for the same sort of reason. Turn wifi off and I lose AirDrop as well as a couple other connectivity things I use heavily, but I absolutely must use ethernet as my main connection. In fact, with my iMacs, I'm happy if it doesn't know any "online" networks exist over WiFi, because everything seems to work as long as wifi is on (airdrop etc) as long as WiFi is on, regardless of being connected...but since everything is always "synced" - if I delete the wifi networks or turn off autoconnect on the Macs it seems to want to do the same thing on our iPad and iPhones.....sync is somethings good, sometimes annoying as hell!

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Ive resorted to this : whenever you wake or switch on the computer, disable wifi for a few seconds, then re-enable wifi. This is enough to prioritise the ethernet connection.....well at least for the remainder of your session before you next sleep or shut down!

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
This is still an issue even with Big Sur - WiFi is still favoured over Ethernet.
I don't want to disable wifi completely as it stops unlocking with Apple Watch, and also taking images with my iPhone or AirDrop etc.
At the moment I disable WiFi manually whenever Im transferring large amounts of data (over 10GB ethernet) and then re-enable WiFi after the transfer......

lo_fye

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2021
This is still an issue even with Big Sur - WiFi is still favoured over Ethernet.
I don't want to disable wifi completely as it stops unlocking with Apple Watch, and also taking images with my iPhone or AirDrop etc.
At the moment I disable WiFi manually whenever Im transferring large amounts of data (over 10GB ethernet) and then re-enable WiFi after the transfer......
Exact same issue here.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Does this exist with the iMAC etc as well, or is it just with MacBooks?

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
This is currently bugging me also. I want to leave WiFi enabled for Apple Watch unlocking, but my Mac always seems to prefer WiFi irrespective of the selected service order. Unbelievably irritating.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I'm still having to disable and re-enable wifi when I need to use ethernet, as this seems to then use ethernet for the remainder of that session, while leaving wifi active.

I wonder if this is an issue on iMAC's also?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Not an issue on my iMacs. I leave Wifi on all the time.

Are you sure its using Ethernet and not WiFi though, after a restart or wake from sleep etc?
I want to keep WiFi switched on for unlocking via Apple Watch or for Airdropping photos from my iPhone etc, but otherwise want to use Ethernet for all data transfer.......

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Are you sure its using Ethernet and not WiFi though, after a restart or wake from sleep etc?
I want to keep WiFi switched on for unlocking via Apple Watch or for Airdropping photos from my iPhone etc, but otherwise want to use Ethernet for all data transfer.......

As a habit, I usually touch the mouse or keyboard to wake up my iMac.
I don't want to spend money on a watch that I have to take-off from my wrist everyday.

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
I have a related problem on Ventura...when I have both ethernet and wifi on with my M2-based mac mini I get pauses on the internet, maybe about 15 - 30 seconds, once a day or so. Not a big deal, but nothing else in my house has this problem. No problems with streaming devices using wifi or ethernet. So it seems that it's the mac's problem. I disabled wifi on the mac to test my theory, and no more pauses. Haven't turned the wifi back on, but this seems to be a problem with the macOS network software somehow. My wifi is strong, so it isn't that the wifi is slower than the ethernet (the mac is about 6' away from my wireless router) that's the problem. I can only guess, though.

Very odd.

macOSSlawHotelaw

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2023
I have a related problem on Ventura...when I have both ethernet and wifi on with my M2-based mac mini I get pauses on the internet, maybe about 15 - 30 seconds, once a day or so. Not a big deal, but nothing else in my house has this problem. No problems with streaming devices using wifi or ethernet. So it seems that it's the mac's problem. I disabled wifi on the mac to test my theory, and no more pauses. Haven't turned the wifi back on, but this seems to be a problem with the macOS network software somehow. My wifi is strong, so it isn't that the wifi is slower than the ethernet (the mac is about 6' away from my wireless router) that's the problem. I can only guess, though.

Very odd.
Does it happen if you disconnect ethernet and keep only Wi-Fi?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.