Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
With 3D Touch I just pressed firmer, how does it work with haptic? At the moment I only really know how to move the cursor.

Reactions: !!!

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Just touch and hold on a word and it should be selected. And it's pretty much the same as 3D Touch from there.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Not sure what you mean but. Selecting text by holding on text or grabbing the cursor is the same on non 3D Touch devices and 3D Touch enabled devices.

Moving the cursor by using the keyboard is where the difference lies. On a non 3d touch device you tap and hold on the space bar to move the cursor and tap with a second finger to select. With 3D Touch you can press hard anywhere on the keyboard to move the cursor and then press hard again to select.

jrdatrackstar1223

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Brownsburg, IN
I’m bringing this back up because I have a similar question and I think I know the answer: you can’t. It’s one of the reasons I refuse to go to a non-3D Touch device because you can’t select text using the keyboard virtual cursor. Yes, you can hold the spacebar and move it but you can’t select text using the virtual trackpad from the keyboard without 3D Touch.

This also makes typing and selecting text in web forms like this more tedious and not as fun and precise as using 3D Touch since the cursor now sucks with iOS 13.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’m bringing this back up because I have a similar question and I think I know the answer: you can’t. It’s one of the reasons I refuse to go to a non-3D Touch device because you can’t select text using the keyboard virtual cursor. Yes, you can hold the spacebar and move it but you can’t select text using the virtual trackpad from the keyboard without 3D Touch.

This also makes typing and selecting text in web forms like this more tedious and not as fun and precise as using 3D Touch since the cursor now sucks with iOS 13.
The available options in iOS 13 are those described in the earlier linked article at https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/use-text-editing-gestures-iphone-ipad/

Ollie_har

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2021
With 3D Touch I just pressed firmer, how does it work with haptic? At the moment I only really know how to move the cursor.
It’s seems that this can only be done by pressing firmly on the space bar which will allow you to move around.

If you’re wanting to select, you have to tap the keyboard with another finger which then starts the selection process.

From then you go left to select left and right to select right.

Let me know if this is by the case for you too!

jrdatrackstar1223

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Brownsburg, IN
It’s seems that this can only be done by pressing firmly on the space bar which will allow you to move around.

If you’re wanting to select, you have to tap the keyboard with another finger which then starts the selection process.

From then you go left to select left and right to select right.

Let me know if this is by the case for you too!

Kind of good to know (in case I ever upgrade from my XS), but from a usability standpoint this is so much worse. It works technically, but not being able to use it one handed kind of defeats the purpose, especially since the magnifying glass is back in iOS 15.

Reactions: balayanr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.