Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Ok... I have a Macbook...white...2Ghz... i recently installed Boot Camp 1.1 just in case I ever needed Windows.

After installing the OS, I would restart and hold the option key and choose OSX. I get into OSX and that's the OS I use predominately. When I shut down my Macbook, I would shut it down normally. Apple>Shutdown.

When I turn on my Mac, I hit the power button and it makes the "Dong" noise. I leave it be because usually it boots into Mac OSX. But when I come back to my Macbook...it's in Windows.

Anyone know how I can set it so that when I turn on the machine it boots directly to OSX instead of Windows?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
Anyone know how I can set it so that when I turn on the machine it boots directly to OSX instead of Windows?

You should have a Startup Disk control panel in Windows, use this and select the Mac partition.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Or if you're currently in OS X, go to Preferences/Startup Disk.

I have a question about this, I have XP on Boot Camp but my Mac always boots into OS X. I don't remember any setting during the XP install process for selecting which startup disk to use, so am I just forgetful or do people do this after install? I don't want to boot into XP, I'm just curious.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
plinden said:
I have a question about this, I have XP on Boot Camp but my Mac always boots into OS X. I don't remember any setting during the XP install process for selecting which startup disk to use, so am I just forgetful or do people do this after install? I don't want to boot into XP, I'm just curious.

I'd guess Apple has set Boot Camp by default to boot into OSX; until the user chooses otherwise. I think it's a sensible move on their part - a lot of newbie-ish users will try Boot Camp out, and not being familiar with XP might not know how to boot back into OSX.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
The easiest thing to do is hold down option when you start up. This allows you to pick your startup disk. So if I pick windows it will always bootwindows tell I tell it OS-X and then it will always boot the in tiger.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
AoWolf said:
The easiest thing to do is hold down option when you start up. This allows you to pick your startup disk. So if I pick windows it will always bootwindows tell I tell it OS-X and then it will always boot the in tiger.

I actually rarely do this on my MBP - as it sometimes takes a long time rebooting (well, it's the shutting down part that takes time). So I usually set the boot partition in the control panel, restart, and go get a coffee and it has booted into right OS by the time I get back - I don't have to stick around for 2 minutes+ with my finger on the Option key.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
whooleytoo said:
I actually rarely do this on my MBP - as it sometimes takes a long time rebooting (well, it's the shutting down part that takes time). So I usually set the boot partition in the control panel, restart, and go get a coffee and it has booted into right OS by the time I get back - I don't have to stick around for 2 minutes+ with my finger on the Option key.

Thats odd takes me about 5 sec.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Exactly my thought. I'll try it out tomorrow because the Macbook isn't with me. My GF has it right now. Thanks for the help and I"ll update to check to see if it solved my problem. Hopefully it does because when I wake up in the morning, i turn the Macbook on and get ready for work and when i come back its in Windows. I only have it on there because I've encountered websites like Saegem Morpho that specifically is made to work in I.E. and it doesn't even work on the mac version of I.E.

damado

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
Do you guys know of any way to make it to that it always goes to a boot choice instead of having to hold down alt? I ask b/c sometimes in osx I click on restart, hold down alt and it doesn't always work.

It would be nice if I could set it to just always ask which drive no matter what. I use both OSes equally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.