Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Does anyone know how to totally shut down this notification. So far I have tried for a couple of times:
1. go to Settings->General->Storage & iCloud Usage->Manage Storage and delete the update file from Settings App but update would be downloaded automatically a fews days later prompting me again;
2. Tap 'Install Now' in Software Update and disagree the Terms and Conditions only to find the prompt would come back a few days later.

I understand Apple have to use this method to keep as many people on the latest iOS as possible. But I am so not impressed by qualities of iOS and its updates lately and changed from updating ASAP mode to updating-only-when-necessary (e.g. affecting by a noticeable bug and knowing the update would kill it) mode.

If you happen to be a person taking a different attitude towards installing iOS update, please ignore this post and I absolutely understand that you may have a thousand reasons persuading me to update and the how I would benefit from it.

Attachments

• update.jpg
    update.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 324
Reactions: Googlyhead

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Does anyone know how to totally shut down this notification. So far I have tried for a couple of times:
1. go to Settings->General->Storage & iCloud Usage->Manage Storage and delete the update file from Settings App but update would be downloaded automatically a fews days later prompting me again;
2. Tap 'Install Now' in Software Update and disagree the Terms and Conditions only to find the prompt would come back a few days later.

I understand Apple have to use this method to keep as many people on the latest iOS as possible. But I am so not impressed by qualities of iOS and its updates lately and changed from updating ASAP mode to updating-only-when-necessary (e.g. affecting by a noticeable bug and knowing the update would kill it) mode.

If you happen to be a person taking a different attitude towards installing iOS update, please ignore this post and I absolutely understand that you may have a thousand reasons persuading me to update and the how I would benefit from it.

Jailbreak is your only option I believe. There is no way to stop the prompt. It will always come back.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
There is actually a way to completely disable the update prompt.

The method is to install an Apple TV profile on your iOS device which will cause your device to never search for updates and you also can't accidentally upgrade because if you manually search for updates, it will always say that your device is up to date (even if it's not obviously).

Of course you can still update your device in case you change your mind by simply removing the Apple TV profile.

Reactions: mattoligy

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There is actually a way to completely disable the update prompt.

The method is to install an Apple TV profile on your iOS device which will cause your device to never search for updates and you also can't accidentally upgrade because if you manually search for updates, it will always say that your device is up to date (even if it's not obviously).

Of course you can still update your device in case you change your mind by simply removing the Apple TV profile.
So can I install an iPad update profile on iPhone or iPhone update profile on iPad and vice versa?
Or, Apple TV profile is a bit interesting that it can presumably permanently blocks system update?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So can I install an iPad update profile on iPhone or iPhone update profile on iPad and vice versa?
Or, Apple TV profile is a bit interesting that it can presumably permanently blocks system update?
iPad and iPhone both use iOS, while Apple TV uses tvOS.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
I really don't know, I just saw this method recently on a video from EverythingApplePro.

All I can confirm is that it works a hundred percent because I tried it myself and my device is now unable to find any new update.

Reactions: akash.nu

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iPad and iPhone both use iOS, while Apple TV uses tvOS.
Uh. Sounds legit.
But I don't know when Apple will disallow such hack in another iOS update. Finger crossed.
I really don't know, I just saw this method recently on a video from EverythingApplePro.

All I can confirm is that it works a hundred percent because I tried it myself and my device is now unable to find any new update.
OK. THanks a lot anyway. Maybe I need to check my YouTube sub.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Uh. Sounds legit.
But I don't know when Apple will disallow such hack in another iOS update. Finger crossed.

OK. THanks a lot anyway. Maybe I need to check my YouTube sub.
No problem, I finally got rid of that annoying prompt. I felt like I was using Windows 10 on my device with it constantly asking for update.

I hope this damn prompt will never appear on OS X but hey we never know.

EDIT : And by the way, I forgot to tell you that by installing the profile you'll have a new permanent app which the Feedback app but I just put it in my junk folder and that's it problem solved.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No problem, I finally got rid of that annoying prompt. I felt like I was using Windows 10 on my device with it constantly asking for update.

I hope this damn prompt will never appear on OS X but hey we never know.

EDIT : And by the way, I forgot to tell you that by installing the profile you'll have a new permanent app which the Feedback app but I just put it in my junk folder and that's it problem solved.
OS X has the exact same problem and it is equally annoying.
However, before heading over and installing this profile, I want to know, if I still can install new version of iOS OTA after deleting this profile?
Apple is just hiring an enormous amount of free testers these years.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
OS X has the exact same problem and it is equally annoying.
However, before heading over and installing this profile, I want to know, if I still can install new version of iOS OTA after deleting this profile?
Apple is just hiring an enormous amount of free testers these years.
Oh really ? It only asked me to upgrade the first time I booted up my Mac. Never asked me again.

And yes, if you remove the profile your device will found new updates just like before.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Oh really ? It only asked me to upgrade the first time I booted up my Mac. Never asked me again.

And yes, if you remove the profile your device will found new updates just like before.
Ok. I should give it a try somehow.

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Jailbreak is your only option I believe. There is no way to stop the prompt. It will always come back.
Yeah, seems this is the only way. Sad Apple has to resort to an annoying way to push update instead of releasing genuinely better software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.