Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris curran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I have a mac osx and the internet explorer icon is on my desktop but I don't know how to also put it onto other family members desktop so that they can also use it. Any ideas.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
First, I'd like to know why you want it on the Desktop, you could just put it into the dock. But you can drag the Internet Explorer icon to the Desktop while holding Alt+Command (I'm not so sure, as I'm not on my Mac at the moment, just drag it and try some keys until you see the + symbol). This creates a shortcut to the app on your Desktop.

chris curran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
internet explorer icon problem solved

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I'm still getting used to the jargon. I have the internet explorer icon in my dock but I don't know how to put it into another users dock on the same computer Mac osX. Any ideas?
I've just been trying a few things after reading some other threads. It ended up being simple. The internet explorer icon was only in my applications folder so I dragged it into the hard drive & it turned up on the other users hard drive & then I could put it into their dock.
Thanks for the reply

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
Hey there.

An easier way to allow other users to use applications is by going into the System Preferences (can be found in the applications folder) click on 'Accounts'. You will see a list of all users on the left hand side. click on your family member's account and go to the 'Limitations' tab. Here you can allow your family member to use selected applications, burn CDs, modify the doc etc.

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.