Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Ugh. This goddamn thing is driving me crazy. I pretty much gave up all hope of getting it to work, after spending literally hours troubleshooting it. Then I updated it to 9.1 beta last week, and it magically started working again...for 2 days. Then stopped.

One of my theories was that maybe, for whatever reason, certain events wouldn't work due to some bug, depending on whether it was created on phone or mac or something.

But one of my events is a repeating event (work) every day at the same time. It hasn't worked all week, then went off yesterday, and then again didn't work today. I cannot figure out for the life of me what the cause is.

I will paypal $10 to anyone who can solve this for me. Its driving me ****ing nuts. And until I can actually depend on it working every time, its utterly useless.

Mark.

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
London, UK
Ugh. This goddamn thing is driving me crazy. I pretty much gave up all hope of getting it to work, after spending literally hours troubleshooting it. Then I updated it to 9.1 beta last week, and it magically started working again...for 2 days. Then stopped.

One of my theories was that maybe, for whatever reason, certain events wouldn't work due to some bug, depending on whether it was created on phone or mac or something.

But one of my events is a repeating event (work) every day at the same time. It hasn't worked all week, then went off yesterday, and then again didn't work today. I cannot figure out for the life of me what the cause is.

I will paypal $10 to anyone who can solve this for me. Its driving me ****ing nuts. And until I can actually depend on it working every time, its utterly useless.

Is there an alert on your Google Calendar event set to 'time to leave'?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I've only had an issue if I'm using the device at the time the notification would go off. If my phones just sat there then it'll go off

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
I've only had an issue if I'm using the device at the time the notification would go off. If my phones just sat there then it'll go off

I've noticed it working / not working in both situations.

The other thing that seems to be completely shoddy is the random "it takes x minutes to get home / work" notifications. I get them at completely random times. Like, I just got to work and it's telling me how long it will take to get home. I work at the same time/place everyday and I literally never go home right now. Why would you tell me now?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I've noticed it working / not working in both situations.

The other thing that seems to be completely shoddy is the random "it takes x minutes to get home / work" notifications. I get them at completely random times. Like, I just got to work and it's telling me how long it will take to get home. I work at the same time/place everyday and I literally never go home right now. Why would you tell me now?

It's Friday?

marc1184

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2016
First off, it doesn't seem to work if the appointment is created on an Exchange calendar. Next, when you enter the destination's address in the location field, it has to turn red in order to have the alert: Time to Leave option.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
We'll probably it's a timing difference. Try selecting a place atleast an hour away from you. I know you have turned on all location settings etc. if ur on cellular, see if cellular data is on for calender.. Obviously u must have kept travel time on.. So ur event should be atleast 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs later. And obviously You must have kept location services on for traffic and routing...

Well it's also possible, that traffic data etc, is not available in the region you are going through.. But when u say it happens some time and sometime doesn't, then it should work... Try it again with a good enough time gap .. So if it's 2 pm right now, and it takes 1 hr to reach, keep the event at around 4:30- 5 pm... See if it works

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I just ran into this. Using Fantastical with both icloud and Google Calendars enabled , I created an event with an address in Google Calendar. I checked for "time to leave" alert option. Wasn't there.

I duplicated the event, but selected the iCloud calendar for the event location.
BAM! Time to leave option appeared for the event.

Yeah, you have to use iCloud Calendar to get the option. For a while, you had to use the native stock Apple Calendar app as well, but Apple opened it up apparently, because Fantastical now has that feature if you use the iCloud calendar.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I just ran into this. Using Fantastical with both icloud and Google Calendars enabled , I created an event with an address in Google Calendar. I checked for "time to leave" alert option. Wasn't there.

I duplicated the event, but selected the iCloud calendar for the event location.
BAM! Time to leave option appeared for the event.

Yeah, you have to use iCloud Calendar to get the option. For a while, you had to use the native stock Apple Calendar app as well, but Apple opened it up apparently, because Fantastical now has that feature if you use the iCloud calendar.

I just use Waze that has that feature built in. Good to know though. Thanks for the heads up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.