Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Desperado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Hello folks, some questions:

- (see title)
- If I coded it this way, would it work with the Q2DExtreme Debugger
or are there more restrictions?
- Has Apple already implemented Q2DE support in gui Elements like
scrollbars, window frames ,standard themes etc.?

Thanks in advance

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
From what I have been able to glean, Q2DEx is a accelerated 2D rendering backend. That means that anything using standard OSX drawing methods should theoretically take advantage of it. I don't know if some of the older methods like QuickDraw and the like are still kicking around in deprecated APIs, and if they are they will not work with Q2DEx. I would venture to guess that if you code according to supported Cocoa (and maybe some Carbon) APIs, then you will be set.

As far as implementation, I do believe that Apple has it fully implemented, but not active. I don't know if this means that the implementation is rough, or when it will be activated for general users. You can turn on the accelerated rendering through Quartz Debugger.

Hope this helps, as I'm not sure whether I totally grasp some aspects of your question.

Jim

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Use the system controls wherever possible. If you are doing your own drawing use Quartz not QuickDraw. As much as possible don't use graphics to draw your controls, draw then in Quartz. When Q2DE is stable enough to use that will see you right.

Desperado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Yeah but apps that use pure system controls like Safari or iTunes
aren't really snappy, even with Q2DE enabled (by Quartz Debug).
Do the system controls even use Q2DE yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.