Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreddyJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Ireland
Hi there. Got an iPhone 8 Plus which I'm really comfortable with. Started listening to a lot of music via various streaming services. Is there anyway I can improve the sound? It sounds okay but quite tinny. Thanks in advance.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
That begs the question how you are outputting the sound? Built-in speaker, Bluetooth or Lightning port?

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
If you're using the phone's speakers, I believe the Jazz (can't remember the name, something with the word "night" or "late") EQ preset made them much louder and clearer. If you're listening from headphoned, get a DAC.

Reactions: FreddyJ

FreddyJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Ireland
That begs the question how you are outputting the sound? Built-in speaker, Bluetooth or Lightning port?
Using the adapter thingy with some headphones - in ear ones.
[doublepost=1568382577][/doublepost]
If you're using the phone's speakers, I believe the Jazz (can't remember the name, something with the word "night" or "late") EQ preset made them much louder and clearer. If you're listening from headphoned, get a DAC.

Using the adapter thingy with some headphones - in ear ones.
Any recommendations on DACs?

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
The adapter basically is a DAC. It takes in a digital signal from the Lightning port and puts out an analogue signal for your headphones. The first, cheapest option would be to buy new headphones.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
It takes in a digital signal from the lightning port and puts out an analogue signal to your headphones. How else would you describe it?
The dongle contains a DAC, an ADC (for the microphone) and an amplifier. And on sites such as the aforementioned head-fi.org, as well as reddit, the general consensus is that you can't do better than the Apple dongle for less than $100. (My personal preference is the Radsone Ear Studio ES100 Bluetooth receiver instead of the dongle. See the very long thread about this on head-fi, if you're curious.)

OP, you say the sound is "...okay but quite tinny" When someone says this, the usual cause is they are using IEMs with a bad ear seal. What IEM are you using, and what have you selected for tips?

Reactions: danmart

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
The dongle contains a DAC, an ADC (for the microphone) and an amplifier.

nah I’m not buying that. Those functions still exist on the phone and the adapter is just a pass through. Do you have a source that says otherwise?

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
nah I’m not buying that. Those functions still exist on the phone and the adapter is just a pass through. Do you have a source that says otherwise?

Well, here's a teardown of the dongle:

The Apple-authorized board for sale to third parties to use the lightning connector for audio. Contains DAC, ADC, amp.

A million discussions on reddit:

Out of curiosity, can you explain how the digital-only 8-pin Lightning connector passes analog audio?

FreddyJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Ireland
The adapter is not a DAC and there is no reason to assume you need new headphones.
OP, you would be better off asking here: https://www.head-fi.org/forums/
Thanks. I will take a look.
[automerge]1571668358[/automerge]
Well, here's a teardown of the dongle:

The Apple-authorized board for sale to third parties to use the lightning connector for audio. Contains DAC, ADC, amp.

A million discussions on reddit:

Out of curiosity, can you explain how the digital-only 8-pin Lightning connector passes analog audio?
Wowzers, I didn't mean to start this much debate but I'm going to go through these. Good to learm more about this stuff. By the way - the Head-Fi forum is mind blowing.
[automerge]1571668424[/automerge]
Thanks everyone for your inout. I'll report back when I decide what to do. If anyone on here does own a DAC, a portable one, can you please let me know the make? It's a mine field. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.