Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
I have the ability to display East Asian characters (i.e. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.) on my TiBook running OS X. However, what do I do if I want to input some characters in Word, Text, etc.? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
ok here we go...

go to

system preferences>international>keyboard menu> then scroll down to the bottom, and check off either the simplified chinese or the original chinese>quit system preferences>open word or whatever> on the menu bar there shuld be an american flag. click that, and select chinese>start typing!

hope this helps...

irmongoose

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
i don't think that will do it...you want to INPUT chinese characters right?

thing is...they are double-byte whereas our standard roman characters are single-byte. you need the language module and special software to input characters.

single-byte chinese characters are not the same...nor do the character sets contain enough different characters to type things properly.

it's been so long for me...nisus writer is a good place to start...i'm sure they either create software to input double-byte characters or have links to them...

if you are really hot for this stuff...and need some help...i do know of a guy who can input double-byte characters into his mac, and export them as editable single-byte characters in quark...jv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.