Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
In general, trailing edge iMacs are depreciating so fast that it's easier to just upgrade a couple of years rather than opening them up to perform surgery which carries its own risks.

Reactions: ignatius345

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I have 2009, 2010 and 2015 iMac 27s. I paid $100 for the 2010 a few years ago and it has an i7 and 32 GB of RAM so it is quite usable for web browsing, office tasks and as a television. I currently use it to watch videos in front of my spin bike. Web browsing can be run on Firefox Extended Support Release on Sierra or High Sierra.

The 2009 has a Core 2 Duo so it's dog slow but I use it as a monitor if I need one in a pinch. I will just give it away when I think that I no longer need it. The 2010 is probably worth $25 - $50. But it will probably be worthless in maybe a year or two.

So I'd recommend keeping an eye out for something newer that costs pretty close to $0.

I'll happy to pay 50$ for a working iMac 2010 27". It makes a nice 27" 2k monitor.

Reactions: pshufd and roronl

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
Hello everyone
my Imac from 2010 starts but the screen remains black, this happened like this. yesterday it was working and this morning nothing. what to do?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have a 2010 iMac. I don't use it every day. Once in a while, it seems to boot, but the screen is black.
It showed that about 2 weeks ago.
I opened up the iMac, so I could tilt the display screen forward. That allowed me to see the row of LEDs on the front of the logic board. There are 4 LEDs that will light up in sequence during boot. Of course, THAT boot with the LEDs visible worked for me (that time), with the screen lighting up.
That's a 21-inch iMac.
On a 27-inch, the test LEDs are visible by looking through the vents near the center of the bottom edge, without opening the iMac. You can carefully tip the iMac back to view those LEDs.
#1 LED will be ON anytime the power cord is attached.
#2 should come ON after pressing the power button.
#3 the Mac is communicating with the graphics chip. If #1 and #2 are on, but LED #3 stays off, then the graphics card may have failed.
#4 LED - if the display screen is on, all should be good. If #4 LED is on, but the screen is not lit, then you may have a failed LCD panel (the display), or a problem with the LED backlight board, or even a failure of the video cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.