Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
during full screen mode in safari or firefox i want to be able to see the time and all the options in the menu bar

but i dont want to drag my cursor to the top every time

is there a way to keep the menu bar on top permanently?

thanks

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
during full screen mode in safari or firefox i want to be able to see the time and all the options in the menu bar

thanks

Since there isn't anyway to do what you want I would recommend just expanding the screen with the green button or do it yourself and then hide the dock.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
It wouldn't be "full screen" if your menu bar was showing. Kind of defeats the purpose.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
It wouldn't be "full screen" if your menu bar was showing. Kind of defeats the purpose.

You're telling me the small white menubar on the top of the screen would "defeat" full screen mode?

It's not like the menubar is the Dock; its very small.

Attachments

• 300px-OS_X_Mountain_Lion_Screenshot.jpg
    300px-OS_X_Mountain_Lion_Screenshot.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 3,305

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Yes. It's not called "partial" screen mode. You get what it says you're going to get.

lol...stubborn people are stubborn. The Menubar is for the app you're in; so how would fullscreening the app and showing its menubar be "partial"?

You don't have to believe everything that Apple does is right; it's okay to think different ;)

Attachments

• import-video-files-to-final-cut-pro-x_clip_image006.jpg
    import-video-files-to-final-cut-pro-x_clip_image006.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 848

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
so how would fullscreening the app and showing its menubar be "partial"?

Because the app's window would be sharing its space with a menu bar that is cluttering up what you are looking at. Using your logic, toolbars are also part of the app so when they are present I guess the app is full screen as well.

Listen all... I didn't code nor did I define Apple's meaning of "Full Screen". The OP wants his menu bar ever-present - it can't be done because Apple sez that isn't full screen. (Not me).

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
lol...stubborn people are stubborn. The Menubar is for the app you're in; so how would fullscreening the app and showing its menubar be "partial"?

Because fullscreen means thats the content of the app being displayed is fullscreen with none of the OS interface elements visible.

Curtis5649

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2017

thanks

thanks
[doublepost=1499933028][/doublepost]I had the same problem after accidentally dropping something on my keyboard, which changed it and it took awhile to figure it out. Go to System Preferences>General, then uncheck "Automatically hide and show the menu bar". You should have a small screen, but your menu bar will be showing at top, as you wish. Use the expand arrow at the side of the window opened, press and hold down, while sliding it to the far right, for a full screen. Your menu bar will stay in place and you will now have your full screen, as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.