Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGrinko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
I'm looking at the technical specification of this guy: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports).
They say its weight is 1.37kg, but with a note: "Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process".

So how do I know how much it weights e.g. when I choose different processor? Is there any difference in weight when using Core i5 vs Core i7? Or when using 16GB RAM instead of 8?
And what does it mean "by manufacturing process"?

Thank you in advance for any help.

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
Only possible answer: buy it and weigh it.

"Manufacturing process" can apply to a wide variety of possible changes in all parts of the machine. They're really saying "don't hold us to it".

AGrinko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Only possible answer: buy it and weigh it.

"Manufacturing process" can apply to a wide variety of possible changes in all parts of the machine. They're really saying "don't hold us to it".

Ok, I'm not asking for preciseness up to 10mg, but would be nice to know whether increased CPU frequency and RAM correlate with increased weight (e.g. by 100g or by 0.5kg). I saw some macbooks pro weighting 2kg, some - 1.6kg, and some - 1.4kg. Such difference might be important.

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
Ok, I'm not asking for preciseness up to 10mg, but would be nice to know whether increased CPU frequency and RAM correlate with increased weight (e.g. by 100g or by 0.5kg). I saw some macbooks pro weighting 2kg, some - 1.6kg, and some - 1.4kg. Such difference might be important.

I would be very surprised if increased CPU frequency by itself made a repeatable difference, since that should be just some part-grade changes and clock-divider settings. The additional RAM weight should also be quite small. I'd check the reliability of your sources first.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The "weight" is in the cases, the display, the motherboard (CPU/GPU differences not counted), the speakers, the keyboard.

Differences in CPU's -- zilch, nada, zero, nothing.

Your question is as meaningless as trying to debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...

Reactions: AGrinko

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The weight would be a typical weight for that model.
"Manufacturing process" would allow for tolerances in the assembly process.
The various options for CPU and GPU would not likely be outside the range of the manufacturing tolerances.

In the "olde days" when you had spinning hard drives, and could install (in some Macs) 4 or more hard drives, plus multiple additional PCI/etc cards, the weight of a Mac might increase by several pounds/kg, and would be easily noticeable when moving that Mac.
You would have to actually weigh the current models to see if there is any difference at all, more than 10 or 20 grams.
I bet if you took 10 new out of the box, all shipping with exactly the same configuration, that accurate weight would be different on each. Surely not enough to be noticeable, but there will be tolerances on anything that is manufactured.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
By weighting it :) My 15" 2016 model (Pro 460, 512gb ssd) weights exactly 1809 gram

MichaelDT

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
I often have problems with my MBP, when I put too many files on it it gets too heavy to lift. How much does a text document weigh? ;)

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
It largely depends if it's turned off or on. The centrifugal forces created by the fans oscillating pushes the device down giving a stronger effect of the gravitational forces already acting upon the device and so skewing the perceivable measurable weight of the device. JPL conducted a number of tests a few years back as part of the Weightgate scandal, if you're interested there's a few things on Google about it.

Reactions: MichaelDT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.