Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lisse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Variable
We have a set of stereo speakers, pre-amplifier, and amplifier that produce relatively high-quality sound. We'd like to listen to music that is in iTunes in this set-up.

Apple used to make a little white device (a little larger than a charger for an old MBP) that I think was a router and it also had stereo RCA pin plug outputs for feeding audio on the network to an external stereo system. I know they don't make that device any longer.

It seems that Apple has nothing to offer for this any longer. They recommend looking at third-party equipment.

Would anyone know if there's a product that can use WiFi and/or Ethernet to capture audio coming from iTunes on a Mac, iPad, or iPhone and use either RCA pin plugs or even a 3.5mm output cable (which can be an adapter for an RCA type plug) so that we can listen to music on an audio system?

Thanks for any suggestions.

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I can't personally attest to the quality, but I have been looking at this for that purpose. It has 3.5mm and optical outputs and can receive Airplay 2 audio.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Look for a used Apple TV or a new one, and a HDMI splitter (into video and audio), patch the video into your tv to control the ATV and patch audio into your system. Used ‘Home’ to connect computer to ATV. Sound quality is great, this what I use, my TV splits the HDMI. Everything is HDMI these days. I originally ran a audio cable from the iMac to my receiver. Had to get an isolation transformer ($6 on Amazon) to get rid of hum from ground loop.

Crunchynut

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2022
Derby, England
Older Apple TVs have an optical output for audio which can be fed into some amps or other devices. Failing that there is a Belkin Soundform Connect device that receives Airplay from iPhone or iPad and outputs analogue audio that can be plugged into your amp. C£60 on Amazon.

Reactions: Allyance

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
You are correct, my older Apple TV had an optical output. When I upgraded my TV to 4K, I got a new DVR from Comcast, it too didn't have any audio outputs either. Next investment will be a new receiver with HDMI connections.

Lisse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Variable
Thank you all for your thoughts. In some ways I can see how Apple would want to keep their audio ecosystem closed. This would essentially force consumers to buy Homepods, Airpods, and stay in Apple's supportive yet constrictive arms.

But if you've spent years building an audio library sitting in iTunes it would be nice to have a way (without requiring special equipment) to listen to that audio on non-Apple equipment.

Regardless, my search will continue. Again, thank you.

porican

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2016
you can get an airport express for less than $40 on eBay. the latest firmware update supports airplay 2. the output is a hybrid analog/digital line out...it can produce a line-level audio signal or a digital optical signal. easily the best/most versatile wireless audio device in the apple ecosystem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.