Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I have been mounting folders on my NAS directly onto my desktop for years. Using the command -
mount volume "afp://BMK-rnp (AFP)._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Music" - in a script, I have basically mounted several folders on my desktop, and iTunes, LightRoom, and plenty of other applications, have accessed files directly on my NAS. Hence all the links for music files, photos, etc. are now embedded in the applications, as being from these particular folder on the NAS.

Now, however, my NAS has died:( And until I can afford a new NAS, I will need to access the same files from my backup drives. I can connect them to my Mac, but it is now the drives that show on the desktop.

How do I "mount" folders on these external SSDs, directly on my desktop?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
How do I "mount" folders on these external SSDs, directly on my desktop?
I would recommend using an alias.

Connect the external drive, locate the folder you want on the external, right click (or control + click) on the folder and select "Make Alias" and finally copy the alias to your desktop. The folder alias will only work when the external drive is connected.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Nope, the alias will not work. I tried that, and it is not considered a volume. For it to work, the folders must be considered volumes.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
That's possibly one way of doing it, I might try that out - thx.

I am finding on the web that some people have used aliases into the /Volumes folder... What I can't find is a description on how to make an association of a folder into that folder. Anyone?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
That's possibly one way of doing it, I might try that out - thx.

I am finding on the web that some people have used aliases into the /Volumes folder... What I can't find is a description on how to make an association of a folder into that folder. Anyone?
/Volumes is an invisible folder.

Double click the drive icon.

Make invisible files visible.
(Toggle Hidden Files (make visible/invisible)
Toggle hidden files display is Shift-Cmd-. (period) in Finder.)

Make an alias of the Volumes folder

Make invisible files invisible again.

Copy Volumes alias to the desktop.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I think you misunderstand...

I have seen references to making aliases of the folders I want to mount on the desktop, into the Volumes folder, and thereby seeing them as mounted drives. However, this doesn't work for me...

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I think you misunderstand...
I have seen references to making aliases of the folders I want to mount on the desktop, into the Volumes folder, and thereby seeing them as mounted drives. However, this doesn't work for me...
What happens if you make an alias of the folder on the backup that you want to mount and then drag the alias to the Volumes folder (you may have to authenticate with your admin name/password)?

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Absolutely nothing. I can't put in the root of /Volumes, even after putting in admin name/password, but I can create a folder, and put it in there...

Anyways, I have given up on this solution, and have redirected the file location in the apps themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.