Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DreamAhead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2024
Hello, I have 2022 MacBook Pro 13.3" Laptop - Apple M2 chip - 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD Model: Z16S4LL/A

I am having an issue with password encrypting my Sandisk USB Flash Drives. I have two flash drives one is 64gb and the other is 128gb. Neither of them I am able to password encrypt when I erase and reformat it in Disk Utility.

When I go to Disk Utility and erase it only gives me these options only:
Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
ExFAT
MS-DOS (FAT)

I do not have any option for APFS Encrypted. When I try Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) it does not give me a pop up to type a password and just format it in which anyone can open it and have access.

Also, it does not give me an option to change the scheme from MBR to GPT (aka GUID Partition Map).

I also have a Seagate and Lacie each over 1TB external drives and those work where I am able to password encrypt with APFS, but these USB flash drives I am not able to.

If someone can help me, I would appreciate.

Thank You

DreamAhead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2024
Take a look at the steps, especially step 2 "In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices."
"Encrypt and protect a storage device with a password in Disk Utility on Mac"
https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/dskutl35612/mac

Yes I did exactly that did you read what I said? I went to Disk Utility and then selected Erase, but I cannot change the Scheme no option available. I have attached as well you will see.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 2.01.44 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 2.01.44 PM.png
    111 KB · Views: 25

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
You have to select the storage device, not the volume on the storage device.

If that doesn't make sense, please post a screenshot of the entire Disk Utility window.

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Yes I did exactly that did you read what I said? I went to Disk Utility and then selected Erase, but I cannot change the Scheme no option available. I have attached as well you will see.
You have’t read, you clicked on the volume not on the device. It should look like this
orange.jpg
Notice the orange icon

DreamAhead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2024

Sorry you are right I did not click on Show All Devices. Thank You for your help!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.