Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. How do I setup macOS Monterey to Windows 11 printer, network on the other room. The iMac is using wifi, the Windows 11 printer is not an AirPrint printer but is connected to the Windows 11 PC which is plugged in directly to the fiber internet box via RJ-45 ethernet cable. This box also has a built in Wifi and that's how I connect to the internet and the home network.

What do I need to setup on macOS Monterey and on Windows 11?

Thank you.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does the printer have built-in Wifi?
You did say the printer is networked, which would imply to me that it is connected to a network, either through wifi, or through an ethernet cable...
If no wifi in the printer - how is it conected to the Windows 11 PC? USB? or is it connected to the PC with an ethernet cable?
Which printer is it? (Manufacturer and model number)

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, sorry I forgot those details.

The printer has no built-in wifi. The printer (Canon MP280) is connected to the Windows 11 PC with its USB cable and the PC is connected to the fiber internet box via ethernet (the box is right beside it).

Thanks.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Apple has a support article for that. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
You will need to set your Windows 11 to share that USB printer. You can do that in the printer's properties window.

You will probably have to install the Mac Canon software for your printer on Monterey.

Then, you just add the printer to your Mac, in the Mac's System Preferences/Printer pane.

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Apple has a support article for that. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
You will need to set your Windows 11 to share that USB printer. You can do that in the printer's properties window.

You will probably have to install the Mac Canon software for your printer on Monterey.

Then, you just add the printer to your Mac, in the Mac's System Preferences/Printer pane.
Hi. I've checked that everything is shared on the PC and installed the printer drivers for both OSes but it still won't network print.

I can even see the printer from the Mac and install the drivers. macOS Monterey may not be yet compatible with Windows 11 or is it because my Windows 11 Pro isn't yet activated because we only have the Home license key (original)? Where could the fault be? I wonder if I should use another protocol (there's IPP, HTTP and IPPS).

Thank you.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
I've installed the Canon MP280 drivers for both macOS Monterey and Windows. I'd like to print from the Mac to a Windows PC's printer that's networked but I can't even though I've successfully added the printer to the Mac using it's driver using the Windows option, the last one in the screenshot (theprinter is plugged to the PC via USB and the PC is plugged to the Fiber box via ethernet. The Mac see the PC and printer via Wifi. All sharing settings on the PC is enabled).

I'd like to try adding that printer using IP but which protocol is the best for the Canon MP280 (it doesn't have Wifi nor AirPrint built-in) and what other settings do I put in the IP window for me to be able print to the networked PC printer?

Thank you. God bless, Rev. 21:4
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 4.16.14 PM.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Use what works (try all the choices)
(I know, it's not really that simple - but I also understand that it can get frustrating when things don't work as you expect. Take your time, find out what does NOT work, and finally, you will hit on the right setup.)
If you can see the printer - and it is listed on your Mac printer pref pane (however, your screenshot does NOT show that the printer is visible on your Mac), but you can't add the printer - it's quite possible that the Canon printer software on your Mac does not support a shared connection to your Canon MP280. That would be a software problem, and it's a Canon problem - not a problem with your Mac.
This Apple support article has all the info that you should need to connect to a network/shared printer.
Also, keep in mind that your printer is NOT a network printer - it is "shared" on the network. Not all printers can do that.
There's also the possibility of adding a print server to your network, and using THAT to share the printer on your network. You would connect your printer to that print server, not your PC. It's another choice to get you all connected and printing.
Another choice would be to move on to another printer that actually supports a direct network connection. Many printers have built-in Wifi, which would end up making this process super easy.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Use what works (try all the choices)
(I know, it's not really that simple - but I also understand that it can get frustrating when things don't work as you expect. Take your time, find out what does NOT work, and finally, you will hit on the right setup.)
If you can see the printer - and it is listed on your Mac printer pref pane (however, your screenshot does NOT show that the printer is visible on your Mac), but you can't add the printer - it's quite possible that the Canon printer software on your Mac does not support a shared connection to your Canon MP280. That would be a software problem, and it's a Canon problem - not a problem with your Mac.
This Apple support article has all the info that you should need to connect to a network/shared printer.
Also, keep in mind that your printer is NOT a network printer - it is "shared" on the network. Not all printers can do that.
There's also the possibility of adding a print server to your network, and using THAT to share the printer on your network. You would connect your printer to that print server, not your PC. It's another choice to get you all connected and printing.
Another choice would be to move on to another printer that actually supports a direct network connection. Many printers have built-in Wifi, which would end up making this process super easy.
Hi thanks again. I've actually added the printer using the Windows one (the icon on the right most side) although it says it's successfully added (has a green checkmark), it doesn't work. I'll try the IP one, the icon with the globe, going through it's many protocols, I hope one works (I think it needs the IP of the printer as well which I think is the same as the IP of the PC- using ipconfig). Pray and fast it's the IP one works.
Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 7.17.25 AM.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmm... It looks like the printer is actually available.
What do you mean that it doesn't work?
Do you get some kind of error when you try to send a document to the printer?
Or, does the printer simply not respond at all?
What happens when you open the Print Queue, then choose Test Print from the Printer menu?
Does anything happen at all - error message, or even a blank sheet of paper is ejected from the printer, or any other kind of response?

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
hmm... It looks like the printer is actually available.
What do you mean that it doesn't work?
Do you get some kind of error when you try to send a document to the printer?
Or, does the printer simply not respond at all?
What happens when you open the Print Queue, then choose Test Print from the Printer menu?
Does anything happen at all - error message, or even a blank sheet of paper is ejected from the printer, or any other kind of response?
Hi. on the Mac side it says the printer is in standby mode even though the printer is On, then there's nothing in the print queues on both the Mac and the PC. I wonder if Monterey is not compatible yet with Windows 11?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I am not sure what you mean by "standby mode".
Does the Printers & Scanner pane say the printer is "Idle"? That would be normal for any printer that is not actually printing.
So, open your System Preferences, then the Printers & Scanners pane.
Click on your printer (it should be highlighted now), then click the "Open Print Queue" button in that printer pane.
The print queue should open. From the top menu bar, click the Printer menu, then choose "Print Test Page"
What happens then? Does the printer do anything at all? Do you get an error message of some kind?

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
I am not sure what you mean by "standby mode".
Does the Printers & Scanner pane say the printer is "Idle"? That would be normal for any printer that is not actually printing.
So, open your System Preferences, then the Printers & Scanners pane.
Click on your printer (it should be highlighted now), then click the "Open Print Queue" button in that printer pane.
The print queue should open. From the top menu bar, click the Printer menu, then choose "Print Test Page"
What happens then? Does the printer do anything at all? Do you get an error message of some kind?
Although macOS Monterey can see the Windows 11 printer, it displays this (it should be working by this time, shouldn't it?):
Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 8.54.40 AM.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
My search shows that the print process is in a "pause" or standby. Maybe you have a job that you tried to print but you canceled it before it could print.
Try double-clicking on your printer (in the Printers & Scanners window). You should then see the same Print queue window, but might then show a canceled print job that is forcing the printer to pause. Delete any jobs that you might see in the list. Click the "Resume" button in that window. It's the icon in that window with a triangle inside a circle. It will change to what looks like a " inside that circle. Your printer should be able to print now.

If you still can't print - in the Printers & Scanners window, right-click on your printer, and choose Reset Printing System. that will remove all printers, and their associated jobs. Then, re-add your Canon printer to that pane. THAT should fix it.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Although macOS Monterey can see the Windows 11 printer, it displays this (it should be working by this time, shouldn't it?): View attachment 1924787
Hi. I'll let this one go. After days and week and hours of trying the different protocols, it's safe to assume, Monterey is not yet compatible with Windows 11 when it come to printer networking with this Canon MP280 which is a relatively old model. I've done all troubleshooting on the PC regarding networking as well.

I do however can transfer and delete files from my Monterey to my account in the Windows 11 PC via network- I don't have to put the files I'll print on the USB from my Mac then plug that in the PC, at least, I can just transfer the files via network.

Though I'm still figuring out how Windows 11 PC can see my Public folder (limit it there) on Monterey so I can also transfer files from Windows 11 to my Mac- would you know any link to do go about this? I've added an account on my Mac which has the same name as the PC's account but Windows 11's File Explorer's Network can't see it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You should be able to see files on your Windows PC from the Mac.
But, not the other direction. I am fairly sure that Windows still doesn't understand the APFS format on the Mac.
But, your Mac should be able to read the files on the NTFS, and copy them from the PC.
So, in short - Mac copies files from PC, yes... PC copies files from the Mac, no.
Windows app such as MacDrive will allow copying files from the Mac to the PC, but not natively (as far as I know)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.