Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Hi,

I tried my app out on my connect iPhone. Now I want it gone from Xcode. Whatever I do, every time I open Xcode with my Phone connected I starts download and processing 3 GBs of symbol files. Any way to completely get rid of it?

Thanks!

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Select a simulator as the device from the choices.

Mine only updates symbols when that is the selected device even though it's available on the list.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Weird mine does it regardless. Maybe i'll just reinstall xcode when xcode 9 comes out or something.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Try selecting another device while it's updating the symbols. 3 gigs seems rather huge though. Are you using the betas or current iOS on your phone?

I've noticed whenever the OS is updated it also updates symbols.

spiffers

Suspended
Apr 12, 2009
Xcode will scan the connected device even if it has not been added as a development device. If you don't want Xcode to scan the device, you have to disable scanning of all devices.

The "symbol" files are all logs as well, so since the device contains so mich debugging information, I would try to delete the logs so Xcode does not have to copy so much information.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Xcode will scan the connected device even if it has not been added as a development device. If you don't want Xcode to scan the device, you have to disable scanning of all devices.

The "symbol" files are all logs as well, so since the device contains so mich debugging information, I would try to delete the logs so Xcode does not have to copy so much information.

How do you disable general device scanning?

spiffers

Suspended
Apr 12, 2009
How do you disable general device scanning?
I don't know. I would suggest asking on StackOverflow, the community is way bigger there. The MacRumors forum is tiny in comparison, and the programming sub-sections here are minuscule.

Sorry MacRumors, I love the site and forums, but thats the truth. No disrespect intended

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
I don't know. I would suggest asking on StackOverflow, the community is way bigger there. The MacRumors forum is tiny in comparison, and the programming sub-sections here are minuscule.

Sorry MacRumors, I love the site and forums, but thats the truth. No disrespect intended

Will do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.