Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tcapanema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2019
Brazil
Hi!

This is related to my last thread "iMac 2017 (A1418) converted to monitor, need help with cable management". So, in short, I'm converting my iMac 2017 21.5" into a monitor and I need a hole to pass some cables through it. It makes no sense to drill a new hole and the most logical hole is the AC inlet one but I don't know how to properly remove it. Anyone did this before? I searched here, on Google and YouTube but couldn't find any instructions on how to do it. The AC inlet seems to be glued to the iMac frame. Maybe I need to use a heat gun on it? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi!

This is related to my last thread "iMac 2017 (A1418) converted to monitor, need help with cable management". So, in short, I'm converting my iMac 2017 21.5" into a monitor and I need a hole to pass some cables through it. It makes no sense to drill a new hole and the most logical hole is the AC inlet one but I don't know how to properly remove it. Anyone did this before? I searched here, on Google and YouTube but couldn't find any instructions on how to do it. The AC inlet seems to be glued to the iMac frame. Maybe I need to use a heat gun on it? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

When you open your iMac, you should be able to see and imagine what to do with the AC inlet.
This is a no-hole, no drilling solution:
Trace the PSU back to the AC inlet, then cut and rejoin the 3 AC wires to replace the original PSU with the adapter of the LCD driver kit. If the adapter only have 2 wires intake, then leave the ground wire open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.