Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
So stupid newbie question, but I just installed 2 gb of gskill ram in my new macbook..i've seen people mention running memory tests/checks to make sure it's all running properly...how do I go about doing that?
and what kinda results am I looking for?
thanks
khurram

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Also on a side note, my screen goes dim after like 2 minutes of inactivity, I know this is a prefernce setting but I can't seem to find it. Sorry it's my first mac:)

Can you tell me where it's at? in the engery settings it only says for computer sleeping and screen sleep, not for the screen going dim

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Try Memtest...I usually don't bother with memory tests and just let my day-to-day usage tell me if everything's okay, but lots of people seem to use Memtest.

As for your other issue, check the "Options" tab within the "Energy Saver" preference pane for an item called "Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep." Uncheck that box and you should be good to go!

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Perfect Thanks!
WildCowboy said:
Try Memtest...I usually don't bother with memory tests and just let my day-to-day usage tell me if everything's okay, but lots of people seem to use Memtest.

As for your other issue, check the "Options" tab within the "Energy Saver" preference pane for an item called "Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep." Uncheck that box and you should be good to go!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Khurram said:
Also on a side note, my screen goes dim after like 2 minutes of inactivity, I know this is a prefernce setting but I can't seem to find it. Sorry it's my first mac:)

Can you tell me where it's at? in the engery settings it only says for computer sleeping and screen sleep, not for the screen going dim
This is a known issue, unfortunately with out a very good solution, yet...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304092

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.