Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Okay, so I don't know too much about X-Box, except that my kid uses it all the time playing Fortnite and with school starting and my being a busy parent, need to set up time restrictions on his account.

Many years ago when I first got him the X-Box he simply used my Microsoft account to begin playing and has been using it ever since. We purchase a 1 year online gaming pass at Target and spends so much time online. Lately its been waaaay too much time online so I need to create time restrictions.

I get the feeling, but am not entirely sure, that in order to create time restrictions I'll perhaps need to create a child account under my one and only Microsoft account that I've had for years; and this one and only Microsoft account I've had for years is the one he uses to game online.

I have no problem creating a child account within my main Microsoft account BUT:

1. I don't want him to lose his 1 year online gaming pass that he's only 3 months in at the moment.

2. Wouldn't want him to lose his leveling status on Fortnight and his username, as he's been using it for almost 3 years and has built quite the reputation and game rank.

AM TOTALLY NEW TO ALL THIS SO ANY HELP IS SUPER APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
We use Microsoft Family to limit our son's time. However, if the Game Pass is tied to your account, I'm not sure if it will be applied if you setup a child account in Microsoft Family.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
We use Microsoft Family to limit our son's time. However, if the Game Pass is tied to your account, I'm not sure if it will be applied if you setup a child account in Microsoft Family.

Would you happen to know the best forum online where I can find out? Perhaps some sort of XBox forum or Microsoft one?

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Would you happen to know the best forum online where I can find out? Perhaps some sort of XBox forum or Microsoft one?

Perhaps something here? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-and-billing?ocid=AMC-Home

I am part of the MS rewards program (Nothing like fully paying for the pre-order of AC:Valhalla for simply using Bing) and I have had to contact the rewards support in the past a couple of times and they get back to you within 24 hours. MS support has been pretty good everytime I use them.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.