Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ok this probably falls in the category dumb questions, so please be gentle.

I've decided to reset my iPhone X to factory settings and install only a few apps in the hope that it helps me identify why the phone has such terrible battery performance. It's got a brand new battery which hits red in the mid afternoon after only sporadic use on wifi.

But before I wipe it I want to be sure how I get the photos in my Photo Library into the newly-wiped phone. Is it as simple as connecting the phone with a cable and synchronising?

A rather sheepish thanks in advance
Philip

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You’d need a Mac if you want to sync photos. Windows PC don’t have much options in That regard. Or, if you happen to have another iPhone, you can use that iPhone as your backup device so you could preserve your photo library.

Or, just use iCloud, assuming you have more than 5GB.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You’d need a Mac if you want to sync photos. Windows PC don’t have much options in That regard. Or, if you happen to have another iPhone, you can use that iPhone as your backup device so you could preserve your photo library.

Or, just use iCloud, assuming you have more than 5GB.
Thank you for the fast reply. Apologies if my first post was unclear. I do have a Mac.

I guess what I am really asking is if the Photos app will just let me transfer the photos even though they were originally put in Photos by my pre-wiped phone.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thank you for the fast reply. Apologies if my first post was unclear. I do have a Mac.

I guess what I am really asking is if the Photos app will just let me transfer the photos even though they were originally put in Photos by my pre-wiped phone.
Image Capture app on your Mac used to be a great choice for your scenario. Nowadays, I’m not sure.
Photos app can import your photos to system photos library. You can try that out.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014

Yes, via Finder.

Finder > Phonenamehere > Photos

Attachments

• photos.png
    photos.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 38

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thank you for the reply. I'm on High Sierra though so my phone doesn't show up in Finder unfortunately. Does it work with iTunes too?
iTunes can support photo sync as long as iCloud Photo is disabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.