Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulc130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
I am using OS High Sierra on my Mac. I can't update any further due to the age of my Mac.

I want to select photos from a vacation that are currently in 'Photos' and copy or transfer them to 'iPhoto'. I've tried dragging and dropping but this doesn't seem to work. Copy and paste doesn't seem to work, either. I tried downloading them into iPhotos directly from my phone connected to the USB but not all the photos are showing up in 'iPhoto' when done this way. But they are all showing in the 'Photos' app. Hence, me trying to do it from 'Photos' to iPhoto' apps.

Any ideas?

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
I am using OS High Sierra on my Mac. I can't update any further due to the age of my Mac.

I want to select photos from a vacation that are currently in 'Photos' and copy or transfer them to 'iPhoto'. I've tried dragging and dropping but this doesn't seem to work. Copy and paste doesn't seem to work, either. I tried downloading them into iPhotos directly from my phone connected to the USB but not all the photos are showing up in 'iPhoto' when done this way. But they are all showing in the 'Photos' app. Hence, me trying to do it from 'Photos' to iPhoto' apps.

Any ideas?

You may have already tried this but I thought I'd chime in just in case. It's been a while since I've used iPhoto but is there a way you can select and export to your hard drive (or USB drive actually) then import them into Photos?

paulc130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
You may have already tried this but I thought I'd chime in just in case. It's been a while since I've used iPhoto but is there a way you can select and export to your hard drive (or USB drive actually) then import them into Photos?
I haven’t tried anything like that yet. But just to be clear, I’m trying to go from Photos into iPhotos. You would think they’d both be compatible in order to drag and drop ?

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
It's been a while for me too, but from inside the iphoto app, probably in the 'file' menu, you should look for the 'import' command.
From import you should be able to target the folders/images you want, then preview them then 'OK' to import.
In any case, both iphoto and photos use the import and export commands to get things in and out so maybe you need to use export on one or import on the other.
Drag and drop isn't how they work, no.
Best

Reactions: atmenterprises

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
I haven’t tried anything like that yet. But just to be clear, I’m trying to go from Photos into iPhotos. You would think they’d both be compatible in order to drag and drop ?

Well, I meant export them from iPhoto to like a USB drive then import into Photos from that same USB drive.

paulc130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
It's been a while for me too, but from inside the iphoto app, probably in the 'file' menu, you should look for the 'import' command.
From import you should be able to target the folders/images you want, then preview them then 'OK' to import.
In any case, both iphoto and photos use the import and export commands to get things in and out so maybe you need to use export on one or import on the other.
Drag and drop isn't how they work, no.
Best
I tried the export command from ‘photos’ but it didn’t give me the option I wanted. I’ll try the import from ‘iPhoto’ and see how that works. Thankyou for your advice!

Nam Pla

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Thailand
It's been awhile since I had the problem, but when Photos first came out I moved my pics from iPhoto to the new app. Was a disaster and I hated Photos. Lost some pics, some were corrupted somehow (or something!), and in a panic I tried to get my pics back from Photos into iPhoto.

I had some success with 'normal' procedures, but couldn't save them all. One thing I did have some success with was emailing from within the Photos app to myself, then saving those email attachments to iPhoto. Was tedious work, but I did manage to save many that way.

Ironically I've just bought a new Macbook with Catalina, and iPhoto is no longer supported. So I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and try Photos again. Outside of a 3rd party photo cataloguing app, I just don't see another option.

Anyhow good luck, but remember that Apple tells you what you should do, and not what you want to do.

Reactions: paulc130

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I tried the export command from ‘photos’ but it didn’t give me the option I wanted.
Much simpler to just drag from Photos to your Desktop and then drag and drop into iPhoto. Have you tried that?

I’ll try the import from ‘iPhoto’ and see how that works
That's unlikely to work as you won't be able to navigate to your pictures that are stored in Photos, because the Photos Library file, where they are stored, will be inaccessible.

Reactions: MJWMac1988

paulc130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
It's been awhile since I had the problem, but when Photos first came out I moved my pics from iPhoto to the new app. Was a disaster and I hated Photos. Lost some pics, some were corrupted somehow (or something!), and in a panic I tried to get my pics back from Photos into iPhoto.

I had some success with 'normal' procedures, but couldn't save them all. One thing I did have some success with was emailing from within the Photos app to myself, then saving those email attachments to iPhoto. Was tedious work, but I did manage to save many that way.

Ironically I've just bought a new Macbook with Catalina, and iPhoto is no longer supported. So I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and try Photos again. Outside of a 3rd party photo cataloguing app, I just don't see another option.

Anyhow good luck, but remember that Apple tells you what you should do, and not what you want to do.
I like iPhoto’s much better too. Photos is great on my phone for quick access but I prefer all the features in iPhotos. I like the way they randomly show up on my TV when using AppleTV and because I’ve used it for so long I have everything catalogued. I just couldn’t understand why all the photos from my recent vacation didn’t show up when my phone was connected to my Mac. But emailing the photos to myself is something I didn’t give a thought to. Don’t know why, as I’ve done similar before for other projects.
Anyway, thanks for your response. Much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.