Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
I want to take some video that I'll overdub later, and I don't want to capture the audio. I went to settings/camera, and the closest I found was a control that says 'record stereo sound', but deactivating it still resulted in recording audio, in mono I trust.

How do I turn the audio off for my video recordings?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I don't believe it's possible to record a video without audio without third party software or use of some sort of external device. However, you can very easily remove the audio track from a video using the Photos app or on Mac using QuickTime or iMovie

Photos (iPhone):

QuickTime (Mac):
Open the video. Edit > Remove Audio

iMovie (Mac):
Import video into project media, drag it to the project timeline, then Modify > Detach Audio (then select the detached audio and delete)

Reactions: jmm55

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
I don't believe it's possible to record a video without audio without third party software or use of some sort of external device. However, you can very easily remove the audio track from a video using the Photos app or on Mac using QuickTime or iMovie

Photos (iPhone):

QuickTime (Mac):
Open the video. Edit > Remove Audio

iMovie (Mac):
Import video into project media, drag it to the project timeline, then Modify > Detach Audio (then select the detached audio and delete)
Thanks for the reply. For such sophisticated devices they should have this option, but I'll just delete the audio after.

Reactions: usagora

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I use this app after its shot to delete the audio:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I use this app after its shot to delete the audio:

See my post #2. Just an FYI that you don't actually need a third party app to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.