Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinakerberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2016
Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA
Hi everyone,
My iMac recently had a graphics card failure and because of that I was unable to properly restore it with a new operating system. So, I connected it to my MacBook Pro via FireWire to fully erase the drive with target disk mode. This proved successful as the Mac boots to a file folder with a question mark, indicating nothing to boot from. However, after I had sold it on eBay for parts or not working, I realized that it was still tied to my Apple ID and that I could see it in the Apple Support app and find my iPhone. Because the hard drive is erased and even if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to access the operating system, how do I untie the Mac from my Apple ID? Thanks.

kebrone

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
Can you see it in iTunes?
  1. Go to iTunes > Store
  2. At the bottom: Account
  3. From there you have option to Deauthorise computer

kebrone

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
Would I do that on a different Mac?

In the Account setting you will see "Manage Devices" on that I can remove them, do not use the Deauthorise as I said previously but the Manage Device setting which is below the Deauthorise button.

kebrone

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
Is there no option to remove it from the iCloud?
Like on the web based iCloud.com you can sign in, go to Find My Devices and remove it from there?

kebrone

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
So it no longer shows up in iCloud, but still shows up in find my iPhone. Why?
[doublepost=1497492722][/doublepost]Nevermind, figured it out. Thanks again for your help.
Please do tell us how you figured this out so next time if anyone else want to know the answer will be available here.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.