Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Hello MacRumors Community.

Just uninstalled a music app called Reason 10.

The file to start the app was inside the app's folder in which other stuff like Factory sounds were.

I dragged the entire app folder to the trash and clicked on Empty Trash.

Then I searched my computer and found multiple files & folders of Reason (about 5GB size in total) plus the authorization software of Reason 10 called Authorizer was still there.

Couldn't access the files anymore because the app is gone but Authorizer still worked.

Now, did I properly uninstall the app?

Why didn't related files of folders of Reason 10 get deleted?

Would it have been better if I had dragged the file which starts/runs the program in the trash and the deleted the app folder after that?

I hope someone can help me out here.

Thanks.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
This page should help you locate the OTHER files that are related to the Reason install, so you can remove them.
http://www.proaudiosupport.com/a43316/internal-only-propellerhead-file.html
Notice that some of the folders and files do not use the name Reason, such as Rewire, or Rex, or Recycle.

Note that if you were uninstalling Reason to update the version of the Reason software, that's not really necessary, as several versions of Reason can exist at the same time on your Mac.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I dragged the entire app folder to the trash and clicked on Empty Trash.

Then I searched my computer and found multiple files & folders of Reason...

...and deleted them."

That answers the first part of your post.

Now, did I properly uninstall the app?

Well, yes and maybe no. Does the app have an Uninstaller? You would have found that in the folder you deleted, most likely. Using that will remove many of the associated files you found that got left behind after dragging the folder to the Trash.[/quote]

Why didn't related files of folders of Reason 10 get deleted?
Because you didn't use the Uninstaller, if there was one. Because those things are in different folders, whether or not there was an Uninstaller.

Would it have been better if I had dragged the file which starts/runs the program in the trash and the deleted the app folder after that"?

No, the order would not make any difference.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
AppCleaner and AppZapper works pretty much the same (their pro's and con's have been discussed on here a couple of times), but I prefer AppCleaner since it's free and AppZapper is not.

The most thorough way of removing an application, that I've seen many people directly link to, is this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.