Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pouncy Sparta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2021
Does anyone know how to get access to update from Yosemite to - anything higher? The download isn't available - I know the newest direct upgrade possible is Sierra. There is no download update installer available for download the app store for Sierra while using Yosemite (it is currently Spring 2021). This is for a 2011 iMac with 16gb ram and 1TB HD.

Pouncy Sparta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2021
You can get the hidden App Store pages through this page

El Capitan is the direct successor to Yosemite, not Sierra. High Sierra is supported on the 2011 iMacs
I know it is, as I stated the newest direct download from Yosemite is Sierra ... Meaning Sierra OSX is the newest one you can skip to from Yosemite, as it is not always necessary to download each OSX between the most recent. I went from Mojave to Big Sur with a laptop recently, skipping Catalina. I would rather have Mojave back since Big Sur broke TWENTY EIGHT of my apps, but that's a different topic. I am just trying to find a way to upgrade from Yosemite to anything newer and as recent as possible as the app tore access is too old to do anything.

bigpizza

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Sweden
How wonderful is it that apple’s webpage isn’t supported with Yosemite’s safari which means you can’t upgrade the Mac. Wonderful.

evocrim

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2024
How wonderful is it that apple’s webpage isn’t supported with Yosemite’s safari which means you can’t upgrade the Mac. Wonderful.
I have the same problem, it's not catch 22 but catch 484. I had a Catalina Mac I had to wipe, it reverted to Yosemite but now I can't upgrade. To upgrade it says to go via Safari which cannot open any Apple websites because it's out of date, to update Safari it says to upgrade the OS. I hit a brick wall at every turn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.