Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manimalfully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Can somebody please provide me with some instructions? I don't understand how to jailbreak it AGAIN with greenp0ison.

I jailbroke 4.1 in november 2010 when there was that whole fight between greenp0ison and limer1n. So right now I have ios 4.1 with greenp0ison jailbreak.

Now I want to upgrade to iOS 4.2 and I don't know the process. Do I just use itunes to upgrade to 4.2 and then download new greenp0ison and run it?

Thanks!

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I'm pretty new to all this stuff too so don't exactly know what to tell you but I did want to say something else.

I have 4.1 jailbroken with Limera1n myself. Was thinking of upgrading to 4.2 but with a possible 4.3 update VERY close, is it really worth the trouble?

You will need to backup all your Cydia apps too. Which can be a bit sticky from what I've read. I use PkgBackup but I've heard that it doesn't always work. Plus there is always the small chance that you might run into issues when Jailbreaking.

Those are the reasons I elected to skip 4.2 and will go straight to 4.3.

Just my 2 cents...

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I might wait until 4.3 too, but depending on what jailbreak apps you use, it might be just as easy to start fresh. Do a fresh sync/backup with iTunes, then do a DFU restore/update with iTunes to get a fresh 4.2.1 install. Someone else chime in on if the DFU is necessary..I think it would be in order to restore the bootware thats booted in jailbreak mode.

Let all the apps/music/etc sync from iTunes, then go the GreenPoison process again (download the new version of the program).

After you reopen Cydia, go to "purchase" the apps again and it will recognize that you already bought them and allow a reinstall. Note that using this method will delete any personalization on the apps. I just use WifiSync and MyWi though, so this wouldn't bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.