Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Back in the day when I subscribed to iTunes Match, it gave you the option to delete the file but keep in your library in the cloud. Now, it seems it just wants to the delete the file completely, giving you no way to "upgrade" your low bitrate tracks.

Does iTunes Match no longer let you upgrade your low bit rate tracks?

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
iTunes Match still functions the same way for me and I've been using since early 2009.

Select a track, right mouse click. In the menu, the top item will be "Remove Download." That's the one to delete your local file. When you reselect and bring up the same menu, you'll have the option to download.

It is easy to see the iCloud status of the music library files if you move the iCloud column close to the track title column.

Completely deleting the file is a separate menu item, safely placed at the bottom of the same menu "Delete from Library" so you cannot accidentally delete it by an errant mouse click. Note that you will be prompted to confirm full deletion.

Note: I am using iTunes 12.9.5.5 on a Mac mini 2018 running Mojave. I did this yesterday after I purchased the Hollow Knight soundtrack from Steam, transcoded the FLACs to AAC and uploaded to my iTunes Match/iCloud Library. The tracks matched so I deleted the local files and downloaded the higher-quality iTunes tracks.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Ok. Looks like I need to wait u til the matching is complete. I still have a cloud woty dotted outline.

MiragePL

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
So is it true that when I will download matched files from Apple's library the way Erehy described here, I will have them forever playing without any problems, even if I will ever decide to end my Apple Music subscription? This is something that I read back in the days but always thought it's to cool to be true. I would rather expect that you lose those files somehow after end of your subscription like in Spotify etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.