Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
F u Tim Cook
Damn, I have to agree with you. I don't really think the new depth slider and portrait effect require the more powerful A12 chip. Although you can download an app for the depth slider, Apple really pushes away more and more X users with those new features that are limited to the newer iPhones only.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Damn, I have to agree with you. I don't really think the new depth slider and portrait effect require the more powerful A12 chip. Although you can download an app for the depth slider, Apple really pushes away more and more X users with those new features that are limited to the newer iPhones only.

It probably does, people don't realize how much of a burst performance the CPU has to do when a picture is taken and the amount of things it has to do. Improved camera performance comes nowadays mostly from better processing not from better lenses, which means that the cpu-power is more and more the limiting factor for image quality (which is also why Google made an entirely seperate camera processor that's specially build for the task).

With these new sliders there's probably a lot more information that needs to be processed and stored after taking a photo and what you don't want (or at least Apple doesn't) is the processing time of pictures to be much more than it is now. It's now already that you see the processing icon a lot on the iPhone X after taking a picture.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
It probably does, people don't realize how much of a burst performance the CPU has to do when a picture is taken and the amount of things it has to do. Improved camera performance comes nowadays mostly from better processing not from better lenses, which means that the cpu-power is more and more the limiting factor for image quality (which is also why Google made an entirely seperate camera processor that's specially build for the task).

With these new sliders there's probably a lot more information that needs to be processed and stored after taking a photo and what you don't want (or at least Apple doesn't) is the processing time of pictures to be much more than it is now. It's now already that you see the processing icon a lot on the iPhone X after taking a picture.

The google pixel camera does a lot
More processing than this feature with night mode feature with a weaker processor than iPhone X. Don’t give me that excuse

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014

I also agree. They boast extended life of their devices but that doesn’t mean they expect you to keep it. Why are the iPhone X owners being shafted?

Although, the Xs owners were shafted with the intel modems and poor Wi-Fi reception (Wi-Fi appears to be fine on the Xʀ). xD

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
The google pixel camera does a lot
More processing than this feature with night mode feature with a weaker processor than iPhone X. Don’t give me that excuse

The pixel 3 has a separate processor especially made for the camera and what you see on the older models is that a night sight picture takes several more seconds to process than the pixel 3.

So don't give me some bad comparison made with phones you don't have and probably have never used.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
The pixel 3 has a separate processor especially made for the camera and what you see on the older models is that a night sight picture takes several more seconds to process than the pixel 3.

So don't give me some bad comparison made with phones you don't have and probably have never used.
Both processors combined don’t match up the processing power of the A11 processor so this excuse is old. Heck we have an app called Focos on iOS which works with iPhone 6s which does live bokeh and live portraits .

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Both processors combined don’t match up the processing power of the A11 processor so this excuse is old. Heck we have an app called Focos on iOS which works with iPhone 6s which does live bokeh and live portraits .

The neural engine on the A12 3 more core and more than 8.3 times faster than the A11, that in itself says the difference.

And while you are completely right, if Apple wanted to they could implement the same features on the X and have a loading animation that is not what Apple is.

And for the love that is all Apple, I hope they never make that compromise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.