Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homervanderjazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I have an iPhone 7plus and am use to connecting it to a windows based PC where I have used the charging wire that came with the phone. The wire has a USB connector on one side and a lightening connector on the other.

However, recently I have bought a MacBook and am trying to connect my phone to it. Whilst the MacBook does have USB ports when I connect to them and connect the lightning side to my phone absolutely nothing happens...

Does this wire not provide a workable connection between the two devices?

If so can you please advise what wire is it that I need? Many thanks.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The way your describing is the proper way to do it.. What MacBook and what version of iTunes are you using? You can open disc utility and see if your phone is showing there. That would eliminate a damaged cable

Reactions: homervanderjazz

homervanderjazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
The way your describing is the proper way to do it.. What MacBook and what version of iTunes are you using? You can open disc utility and see if your phone is showing there. That would eliminate a damaged cable
Thanks for the reply, I tried three different cables, one new Apple one which was still in the box that the phone came in, all produce the same result.

Might I need a thunderbolt to lightning cable? Would this work?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thanks for the reply, I tried three different cables, one new Apple one which was still in the box that the phone came in, all produce the same result.

Might I need a thunderbolt to lightning cable? Would this work?
Does your MacBook have usb-a ports or does it have thunderbolt 3 ports only? If it's a newer MacBook with only thunderbolt 3 ports then you'll need a thunderbolt 3 to lightning cable to make the connection

homervanderjazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Thanks for the replies folks, as suggested went into finder and saw the iPhone there. Had to then click on trust device and took it from there! Thanks.

Reactions: ACB 123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.