Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell.h

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Well I really need to create a new partition on my hard drive, but I haven't been able to resize "Macintosh HD" because apparently some file that diskutil resizeVolume can't move is near the end of the partition.

As I intend to upgrade to Leopard as soon as it comes out, I'm thinking I might just wait until then. My question is, when you upgrade OS X does it back up all my current files somewhere, wipe the partition then start over, or does it actually just go through and update files in your current installation?

Or the short version: will upgrading to Leopard defragment my hard drive? Or will I have to back my stuff up manually, nuke the partition and start from scratch?

Thanks,

Russell

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
the second one, it just updates the files, if you want to start over you have to do it yourself, im planing on it because i have a lot of apps on here that i dont use, that i just installed to try out, so im looking forward to starting over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.