Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I wasn't sure if it was okay to post this here or in the iPhone Accessories, I actually bought it for my iPad mini. I bought Lightning cable for my iPad, it came in a box and everything, but my question is how do I tell it's a counterfeit cable.

The cable end where it has the USB symbol, it doesn't have an Apple symbol on the other end, which is making think it's counterfeit. The box that it came in and has two UPC symbols, one marked UPC and the other one marked JAN (it's a sticker on the box). Also there is a sticker on the side that states that it's compatible with all models. Everything else is printed on the box, it also it came with a warranty book in many languages, and another book takes all about the FCC (and those in other countries).

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I don't think the Apple brand cables have an Apple symbol on the USB connector if memory serves (don't have one handy at the moment).

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
I wasn't sure if it was okay to post this here or in the iPhone Accessories, I actually bought it for my iPad mini. I bought Lightning cable for my iPad, it came in a box and everything, but my question is how do I tell it's a counterfeit cable.

The cable end where it has the USB symbol, it doesn't have an Apple symbol on the other end, which is making think it's counterfeit. The box that it came in and has two UPC symbols, one marked UPC and the other one marked JAN (it's a sticker on the box). Also there is a sticker on the side that states that it's compatible with all models. Everything else is printed on the box, it also it came with a warranty book in many languages, and another book takes all about the FCC (and those in other countries).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204566

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.