Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I know dumb. I want to test streaming video 4k to see if it buffers or not still.

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2016
Not sure I fully understand your question. You're trying to see if video will stream over cellular data? You should be able to turn off wifi to test this.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Not sure I fully understand your question. You're trying to see if video will stream over cellular data? You should be able to turn off wifi to test this.

This. But it will not simulate what happens as you move through areas of varying coverage. You'll need a good connection & bandwidth for seamless 4k streaming.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I tested with my Sprint connection here in Seattle. Speedtest showed average of 61Mbps over 4G and I could stream 2160p from YouTube without buffering. Caveats: I didn't drive over long distances and as mentioned earlier, it is entirely dependent upon availability of consistent high bandwidth. Possible? Yes. Problematic? Likely, but we don't know your operating environment.

Edit: Note that this is on my XS Max, not my iPad. 2160p is not supported in the YouTube iPad implementation. That's another wildcard - what is the streaming source?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.