Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I will make a point then. Post above that I replied to that started this discussion.

"thanks for the clarifications.

so, there is no way to delete a copy (optimized or full size) from just one device. if you delete it from one device it deletes the copies from all devices as well as deletes it from the server.

wouldn't it have made a great option to be able to keep your photos in the iCloud server until you delete them from the server, but, at the same time be able to delete a local copy, device by device."

IPL will not do what this person is asking because as you pointed out, IPL is a sync service not a storage service. If this person wants to store a copy of their photo on a server but not on their device they will need to use a storage service. We were not at this point talking about the added features provided with IPL, we were talking simply about the ability to store a photo with a cloud provider and not use space on your device. Due to the fact that IPL is a sync service you cannot do this. What are the options then to answer this post? Several like OneDrive or Flickr or iCloud Drive. You do not need to repeat the fact that you don't use these yourself as a storage option for photos. You only need to understand the point here from the beginning was to show that a storage service versus a sync service is the answer to having access to photos but not have to carry them on your device.

What did you respond to this?

"Nope, IPL precisely stores your photos in the cloud and is there for permanent keeping. That's kind of the point and why it's called iCloud Photo Library and not iCloud photo sync (photo stream). Also the delete button puts the photos in a deleted album for 30 days so there is plenty of time to recover photos deleted by accident.

iCloud Drive is for documents, files etc and IPL is just for photos/videos. If you put photos in iCloud Drive you get absolutely none of the benefits of IPL, you might as well put it on an external HD than. I think you might be confused and therefore maybe need to stop misinforming people that are also confused."

So, point is, I am not confused and my advice to this person to seek a storage provider versus a sync provider stands.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Nope my point is that you don't know what the cloud is or does. And now you are trying to get out of the discussion without making any points for like 3 comments.

I have my contacts in my phone since iOS 4. How is that not permanent.
There is people that have 1000s of emails from years ago. Not permanent? Like seriously man

IPL is the same, a permanent storage solution AND a syncing service, you know like every damn cloud service there is. Have you been living under a rock or what the hell is going on here.

You keep saying permanent.
I am saying sync versus storage. Both offer a level of service that will allow you to keep things around a long time but one will allow you to put them away (storage) and the other will allow you to keep everything looking the same.(sync)

Maybe that is the difference. You are defending your understanding of how long you can keep something available on a service that will also sync. Thats not what the question/comment was about though. The whole point here was to say the person wanted a service that did not sync the changes and did not force you to store on your device too the way IPL does.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
You keep saying permanent.
I am saying sync versus storage. Both offer a level of service that will allow you to keep things around a long time but one will allow you to put them away (storage) and the other will allow you to keep everything looking the same.(sync)

Maybe that is the difference. You are defending your understanding of how long you can keep something available on a service that will also sync. Thats not what the question/comment was about though. The whole point here was to say the person wanted a service that did not sync the changes and did not force you to store on your device too the way IPL does.

What are you talking about man. It's like saying a hard drive is not storage because when I delete a file it's gone. Seriously man i dont know what to tell you. Syncing is part of the package of cloud storage, hence cloud. Want me to draw it to you because I will.
So once again
Emails, calendars, reminders, contacts, emails, one drive, google drive, IPL, or any other cloud service you STORE PERMANENTLY AND YOU SYNC. How the hell do you think the world would work if cloud storage wasn't storing stuff permanently and also syncing. WTF
Please I'm begging you what is going on?

----------

I will make a point then. Post above that I replied to that started this discussion.

"thanks for the clarifications.

so, there is no way to delete a copy (optimized or full size) from just one device. if you delete it from one device it deletes the copies from all devices as well as deletes it from the server.

wouldn't it have made a great option to be able to keep your photos in the iCloud server until you delete them from the server, but, at the same time be able to delete a local copy, device by device."

IPL will not do what this person is asking because as you pointed out, IPL is a sync service not a storage service. If this person wants to store a copy of their photo on a server but not on their device they will need to use a storage service. We were not at this point talking about the added features provided with IPL, we were talking simply about the ability to store a photo with a cloud provider and not use space on your device. Due to the fact that IPL is a sync service you cannot do this. What are the options then to answer this post? Several like OneDrive or Flickr or iCloud Drive. You do not need to repeat the fact that you don't use these yourself as a storage option for photos. You only need to understand the point here from the beginning was to show that a storage service versus a sync service is the answer to having access to photos but not have to carry them on your device.

What did you respond to this?

"Nope, IPL precisely stores your photos in the cloud and is there for permanent keeping. That's kind of the point and why it's called iCloud Photo Library and not iCloud photo sync (photo stream). Also the delete button puts the photos in a deleted album for 30 days so there is plenty of time to recover photos deleted by accident.

iCloud Drive is for documents, files etc and IPL is just for photos/videos. If you put photos in iCloud Drive you get absolutely none of the benefits of IPL, you might as well put it on an external HD than. I think you might be confused and therefore maybe need to stop misinforming people that are also confused."

So, point is, I am not confused and my advice to this person to seek a storage provider versus a sync provider stands.

No man you are wrong. IPL is a permanent storage solution and not just a syncing service. What the hell is wrong with you.

IPL does not offer a offline version so you need to have at least optimised versions on your device. It has benefits trust me, and storage is minimal. My 700mb library is using like 20mb if not less and it's just looks so much better than if there would suddenly be an empty photos app if there is no internet.
It's stored there permanenty and has been for months and will be for years. If you don't want photos on a device just don't turn on IPL and done. The user can than upload manually if he wants through a Mac or iCloud.com, similar like he would if he used any other storage solution of photo management app.

Again what is wrong with you, stop giving the OP wrong advice.
IPL is exactly the same as any other drive storage solution apart from the fact the Apple integrated it with the photos app and not iCloud Drive.
It uses your iCloud storage and as I said before people have been getting the 500-1tb option so they can upload their massive library to IPL. It is ffing permanent. A cloud storage provider is also a sync service. How many times, it's 2015.

I swear I'm gonna cry soon.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
What are you talking about man. It's like saying a hard drive is not storage because when I delete a file it's gone. Seriously man i dont know what to tell you. Syncing is part of the package of cloud storage, hence cloud. Want me to draw it to you because I will.
So once again
Emails, calendars, reminders, contacts, emails, one drive, google drive, IPL, or any other cloud service you STORE PERMANENTLY AND YOU SYNC. How the hell do you think the world would work if cloud storage wasn't storing stuff permanently and also syncing. WTF

Do I need to have the file on my phone just to have it on the hard drive? No, so I have storage.

Do I need to have the file on my phone just to have it on OneDrive? No, so I have storage.

Do I need to have the file on my phone just to have it on Google Drive? No, so I have storage.

Do I need to have the file on my phone just to have it on IPL? Yes, so I have a sync service.

With any of the first 3, if I remove the file from my phone it will remain in the cloud if I want it to. With IPL, I have no choice but to have it on my phone (even in a reduced size) if I want it on the server. I cannot, from my phone, access my photos in IPL without first accepting some file on my device. This is not true with the first 3 options named here.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Do I need to have the file on my phone just to have it on the hard drive? No, so I have storage.

Do I need to have the file on my phone just to have it on OneDrive? No, so I have storage.

Do I need to have the file on my phone just to have it on Google Drive? No, so I have storage.

Do I need to have the file on my phone just to have it on IPL? Yes, so I have a sync service.

With any of the first 3, if I remove the file from my phone it will remain in the cloud if I want it to. With IPL, I have no choice but to have it on my phone (even in a reduced size) if I want it on the server. I cannot, from my phone, access my photos in IPL without first accepting some file on my device. This is not true with the first 3 options named here.

You have a optimised version on your device for my above mentioned reasons. Call Apple and asked why they didn't go the full offline route, and the answer is the same as mine, an empty photos app in the tube would not looking good. The user experience matter and the optimised versions are TINY.
It's the same with emails or do you think emails are just a sync service ? Contacts ? They all download to your device in case there is no internet.
You are very confused man and I am just trying to help

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
So once again

----------

No man you are wrong. IPL is a permanent storage solution and not just a syncing service. What the hell is wrong with you.

IPL does not offer a offline version so you need to have at least optimised versions on your device. It has benefits trust me, and storage is minimal. My 700mb library is using like 20mb if not less and it's just looks so much better than if there would suddenly be an empty photos app if there is no internet.
It's stored there permanenty and has been for months and will be for years. If you don't want photos on a device just don't turn on IPL and done. The user can than upload manually if he wants through a Mac or iCloud.com, similar like he would if he used any other storage solution of photo management app.

Again what is wrong with you, stop giving the OP wrong advice.
IPL is exactly the same as any other drive storage solution apart from the fact the Apple integrated it with the photos app and not iCloud Drive.
It uses your iCloud storage and as I said before people have been getting the 500-1tb option so they can upload their massive library to IPL. It is ffing permanent. A cloud storage provider is also a sync service. How many times, it's 2015.

I swear I'm gonna cry soon.

I have the 200GB option myself. It uses about 2.5GB of space on my device and I like the fact that I can search the photos based on location and I have everything available. I have converted my DSLR photos to JPG and uploaded them as well as my videos. I like the service because it keeps my edits in sync between all of my devices.

I also use OneDrive because I can put files there without having to use storage space on my device. It gives me a backup that is not tied to my device but still gives me the ability to access the files via my device. Call each of the services/formats what you like. I really don't care.

----------

You have a optimised version on your device for my above mentioned reasons. Call Apple and asked why they didn't go the full offline route, and the answer is the same as mine, an empty photos app in the tube would not looking good. The user experience matter and the optimised versions are TINY.
It's the same with emails or do you think emails are just a sync service ? Contacts ? They all download to your device in case there is no internet.
You are very confused man and I am just trying to help

I do use optimized to save space on my device, yes. I have to because all the photos would not fit on my phone or iPad otherwise. I get that. My point is, I have to accept that in order to have access to IPL from my iPhone.

I use Exchange Active Sync for my email. A sync service with a storage solution on a server. If I delete from my phone it will delete from the server. So, when I want to keep a message long term I move it to my vault service which is strictly a storage container. I have the ability to delete there too but thats not what its for and it no longer requires the message to be on my device to live. I move it and I get the space on my phone for other purposes. Yes, email is a sync service and yes it will store a message for as long as the provider will allow. Email is not what we are talking about though.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
I have the 200GB option myself. It uses about 2.5GB of space on my device and I like the fact that I can search the photos based on location and I have everything available. I have converted my DSLR photos to JPG and uploaded them as well as my videos. I like the service because it keeps my edits in sync between all of my devices.

I also use OneDrive because I can put files there without having to use storage space on my device. It gives me a backup that is not tied to my device but still gives me the ability to access the files via my device. Call each of the services/formats what you like. I really don't care.

That's all cool but it doesn't change the fact that you keep calling emails, contacts and IPL just a sync service.
It's a storage solution and a sync service. Important stuff has to download if you are reliant on emails and contacts. If you put your contacts in one drive and than have no internet, good luck.
Just stop calling it a sync service already when it's both. Don't want stuff on your device, just turn off iCloud on all devices. That qualifies as a storage solution than?

If I turn off IPL on all my devices and just use iCloud.com would that count as storage solution because Photos dont use space on my phone anymore? Same as one drive now right?

Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
If I turn off IPL on all my devices and just use iCloud.com would that count as storage solution because Photos dont use space on my phone anymore? Same as one drive now right?

No, not the same. The difference is I can access the OneDrive server from my phone to look at the photos. IPL, I can't. Not until I turn the feature back on, select full or optimized and allow the thumbnails or full photos to sync to my device. Like email. OneDrive on the other hand only asks for a login. Nothing is sent to the device.

How about this. IPL is a storage/sync platform. I already agree with that.
It still goes back to the first comment from the person that said "It would be nice if IPL would allow you to keep files on the server and not on your device." You simply can't and still have access to the photos from your phone and we agree there. The reason for this is IPL is a sync (and yes storage) service. You delete from one place, it goes away everywhere. Other strictly storage providers will let you drop things on their servers and remove them from your phone. All I was saying.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
No, not the same. The difference is I can access the OneDrive server from my phone to look at the photos. IPL, I can't. Not until I turn the feature back on, select full or optimized and allow the thumbnails or full photos to sync to my device. Like email. OneDrive on the other hand only asks for a login. Nothing is sent to the device.

How about this. IPL is a storage/sync platform. I already agree with that.
It still goes back to the first comment from the person that said "It would be nice if IPL would allow you to keep files on the server and not on your device." You simply can't and still have access to the photos from your phone and we agree there. The reason for this is IPL is a sync (and yes storage) service. You delete from one place, it goes away everywhere. Other strictly storage providers will let you drop things on their servers and remove them from your phone. All I was saying.

The end is near

Scenarios:
a) I have 500gb of photos on my Mac in the downloads folder. I copy them to a external hard drive and than delete them from my downloads folder. The external HD would qualify as a storage solution because I deleted the photos from my device but it's still on the external HD? You said something similar before right?

b) instead of copying the photos to the external HD I upload them to IPL via iCloud.com. If I than delete them from my downloads folder the files are only on the server and not on any device and I can view them anytime via iCloud.com without using 1KB of space on my devices. Does it now count as a storage solution. I think it does

Well, it was a pleasure talking with you. Hope to hear from you soon ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
The end is near

Scenarios:
a) I have 500gb of photos on my Mac in the downloads folder. I copy them to a external hard drive and than delete them from my downloads folder. The external HD would qualify as a storage solution because I deleted the photos from my device but it's still on the external HD? You said something similar before right?

b) instead of copying the photos to the external HD I upload them to IPL via iCloud.com. If I than delete them from my downloads folder the files are only on the server and not on any device and I can view them anytime via iCloud.com without using 1KB of space on my devices. Does it now count as a storage solution. I think it does

Well, it was a pleasure talking with you. Hope to hear from you soon ;)

Yes. That is what I would call a storage solution. Ha.
See ya.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Yes. That is what I would call a storage solution. Ha.
See ya.

Well so we argued for two pages and I turned out to be right, IPL is a storage solution. Go figure.
Being embarrassed sucks but just man up, happens to everybody.
Don't think I need to say much more because that 1 picture speaks a thousand words.

lwr032

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
They are uploaded and stored in iCloud once IPL is turned on and there is a wifi connection. It's not rocket science and I don't understand why that's so hard to understand. I mean the service is called iCloud photo library. LOL

The question being, how do I know if ALL of my photos are in iCloud? Or if some are on my iPad locally and not in iCloud? If all photos I see on my iPad are in iCloud why dose Settings>About tell me I have 1,334 on my iPad?

Last edited:

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
The question being, how do I know if ALL of my photos are in iCloud? Or if some are on my iPad locally and not in iCloud? If all photos I see on my iPad are in iCloud why dose Settings>About tell me I have 1,334 on my iPad?

Because iCloud Photo Library does not immediately delete uploaded photos on your device. So until your iPad is running low on space (or after certain time) it will start deleting some of those 1334 photos if they are In iCloud.

The idea is that you turn it on and forget about it, iOS will manage the space for your (optimised setting).

If you go to moments in the photo app right at the bottom you can see progress of what is uploaded to iCloud.

AVCHD Guy

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
Florida

You two are utterly exhausting.

When you open a photo hit the "i" button and if the photo "exists" on the Apple cloudy place there will be a check mark inside the cloud icon, if not there is a line through it. Others have pointed to checking the overall status of the "movement" to the cloudy thingy place. As also mentioned you have an option for what is left on your phone after the process is finished. I will avoid saying backup, storage, synching, optimising, permanent, thumbnails, so as not to cause any trigger events for the two gladiators matching IQ test results here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.