Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I know this question is asked many times which is why I did a search. I did do a search but I don't think I was putting the right search words in because I couldn't find anything that explained it in layman's terms. LOL

How the do you unhide the ~user/library directory so you don't have to use the Command-Option combo to get it to show under go. I would like it to show up while I am booted into other Mac OS's. For example 10.10, 10.12.

There used to be a terminal you could use the would unhide it. Is there still??

=Hugh

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What I do is to unhide system files and hidden folders. This also includes user library folder.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Yes. It removes the hidden-flag from the directory. Finder recognises this on other disks too.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I'm a bit confused to unhide the library on the other Mac OS startups, I will have to do this to them. I noticed it's not show their library folder right now and I don't have the option to do so with other startup disks (that I'm not booted into).

=Hugh

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You can do it in Terminal. Make sure you have the path to the volume, e.g. /Volumes/MySecondDisk. You can find these paths with the “df” command.

Then just enter this command (and replace MySecondDisk and MyUser accordingly):
Code:
chflags nohidden "/Volumes/MySecondDisk/Users/MyUser/Library/"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.