Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
  • If you have sweaty hands or your skin produces a lot of oil, you probably should get one of those keyboard protectors to reduce the accumulation of grease.
Have people tried keyboard protectors for this issue? Are KB protectors/covers/skins effective in preventing dust from getting under the keys to avoid failures?

To prevent such an issue, I would suggest a soft silicone keyboard cover. Would also be effective against that "speck of dust" you hear so much about.
https://www.amazon.com/UPPERCASE-GhostCover-Premium-Keyboard-Protector/dp/B01MRKLH27

I earn my keep by writing, and obviously for anybody who is a fast (70+ wpm) touch typist a silicon keyboard cover is a non-starter... What makes me sad is that — again, as a very fast typist — the keyboard of the 2016-17 MBP is quite simply the best out there... and yet it’s also its weakness.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Buy Applecare+ or avoid the 2016/2017's and use a 2015 (or non Mac I guess) and wait until another revision comes around.

Do not hold onto a 2016/2017 without extended warranty coverage unless money is simply not a concern for you.

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2013
Would using a vacuum cleaner to suck around the keys help at all? Gently using one of the smaller brush heads of a vacuum cleaner around the keyboard might suck up some of the dust? Maybe doing this once every two or three weeks might help avoid the issue from materialising?

Just a thought...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.