Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
I'm running a scan using Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery. It takes days to complete and every time the iMac goes to sleep I have to wake it so the program continues to scan otherwise it stops. Isn't there a way that processes can run while the mac is asleep? I don't like the idea that the display is on around the clock burning itself out over time.

TIA Rhobes-

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm running a scan using Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery. It takes days to complete and every time the iMac goes to sleep I have to wake it so the program continues to scan otherwise it stops. Isn't there a way that processes can run while the mac is asleep? I don't like the idea that the display is on around the clock burning itself out over time.

TIA Rhobes-

Best solution I can think of is:

Apple menu > System Preferences > Energy Saver

Change computer sleep to 'Never'. Disable 'put hard disks to sleep where possible'. Change display sleep to a time of your discretion.

This means the display will go to sleep so it doesn't burn out, though the computer itself won't go to sleep and the application will keep running.

Reactions: Rhobes

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
@keysofanxiety

I think the settings you referred to are for when running on battery. The settings are a bit different when running under power.

In the Power Adapter tab of the Energy saver settings, turn off the monitor, but check the box to prevent the computer from sleeping while the monitor is off.

Reactions: Rhobes

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I agree, you need to turn sleep OFF while you are running that kind of task.
Sleeping causes all services to stop running, other than what the system needs to maintain RAM, and to provide for a wakeup when needed.
I have a screen corner set to turn the screen off, so moving the cursor to that corner of the screen immediately turns the display off.
Or, you can just press Shift-Control-Eject, which will immediately turn off your display. Press any key to turn it back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.