Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Hey all,
Sorry if this topic is covered in another thread or category (I tried to search), but I was just wondering how some of you are arranging your app screen pages. I have the apple supplied apps on the first page, with the apps I use most on the second, and a few extra that I use from time to time on the third. As I add more apps, i'm tempted to start organizing them by utility, entertainment, etc. How are you all arranging your ipad???

**This is in reference to those not using "category" or another jailbroken program for organization.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I have it all by alphabet, including the stock Apple apps. Make it much easier I think when looking for something. I do have my most used items in the Dock (Mail, Maps, Atomic Browser, App Store)

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
iCatagorize mine.

A page for Music Apps, Photo Apps, Utilities, etc. All garbage apps go on the last page awaiting deletion. :)

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
I've tried to do it by category but when downloading new apps it's a hassle to keep rearranging everything. I'm DYING for OS 4 folders.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
The first page is always the most accessed or most critical, then followed by the productivity and non-gaming apps in alphabetical order, then followed by the games in alphabetical order.

We really need official folders already. It can't come soon enough!

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
On the home page I have the apps I use the most and then on the next pages have the apps arranged by category (all photo apps together, medical apps together, etc). This works for me!

+1

Not only do we need folders, but it'd be cool if we could name the pages, like put a title on each one. Also, double tapping on the empty screen should bring up a mini preview of all the pages on the bottom, and tapping on the preview image should automatically take you to that page.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
On the home page I have the apps I use the most and then on the next pages have the apps arranged by category (all photo apps together, medical apps together, etc). This works for me!

I sorta do this. I have my most used apps on the first page (Twitter, etc.). Then on the second I have the account stuff (Settings, App Store, Calender, etc.) Then after that I have a games screen, information screen with helper apps, a reading screen and lastly a services screen with things like eBay.

MikeCase

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2009
Melbourne, FL
My dock contains the stuff I use the most (Safari, Mail, Things, Simplenote, and Tweetie full resolution). The first page has the stock apps that I use, Comic Zeal, Instapaper, AirVideo, Pandora, and iBooks.

The second page consists of all the new apps that I haven't used yet and want to try out. If I keep them on the last pages, I always forget about them. Every page after that is arranged by how frequent I use them.

The last page has all the stock apps that I don't use and Settings. When I need to get to my settings, I just pull up spotlight to grab it. I don't use it enough to justify it on a closer page but I still use it so it's easier to spotlight it than swipe to the last page.

This is exactly how I organize them on my iPhone :)

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
+1

Not only do we need folders, but it'd be cool if we could name the pages, like put a title on each one. Also, double tapping on the empty screen should bring up a mini preview of all the pages on the bottom, and tapping on the preview image should automatically take you to that page.

iphone-os-4-0213-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0218-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0221-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0225-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0233-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0239-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0122-rm-eng.jpg

I'm guessing you didn't watch the Steve Jobs keynote from two weeks back.

On your iPad, go to iTunes, search for "Apple Keynotes" and watch the WWDC video podcast from April and you'll see what the next iteration of iPad software will look like in late June (for iPhone and iTouch) and Fall (iPad) including folders you can name with icons of their contents and all sorts of other goodies.

BJ

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

On your iPad, go to iTunes, search for "Apple Keynotes" and watch the WWDC video podcast from April and you'll see what the next iteration of iPad software will look like in late June (for iPhone and iTouch) and Fall (iPad) including folders you can name with icons of their contents and all sorts of other goodies.

BJ

Sweet! :D Will there be a easier way to navigate the multiple screens? Or is there one now that I missed? Because going from the first screen to the last when you have ten of them is a bit of a pain... :rolleyes:

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
What sucks about Folders is that you basically have to touch each folder to see what is in it, the icons are too tiny I think to see what is in there without expanding the folder.

I like Overboard better, which is a Jailbreak app. It basically turns your different screens into folders by showing you all the screens at once.

Overboard.jpg

That is a screen shot from the iPhone...where you can still see thats in each window. On the iPad, with the bigger screen, it should work that much better.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
The first page is always the most accessed or most critical, then followed by the productivity and non-gaming apps in alphabetical order, then followed by the games in alphabetical order.

We really need official folders already. It can't come soon enough!

I'm similar. Most accessed followed by nice-to-have.

I also try to limit the number of apps I have at all. I try to follow the KISS principle: Keep It Super Simple

screenshots:

p433949849.jpg

p497295184.jpg

p503360884.jpg

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
HXGuy said:
What sucks about Folders is that you basically have to touch each folder to see what is in it, the icons are too tiny I think to see what is in there without expanding the folder.

I like Overboard better, which is a Jailbreak app. It basically turns your different screens into folders by showing you all the screens at once.

Overboard.jpg

That is a screen shot from the iPhone...where you can still see thats in each window. On the iPad, with the bigger screen, it should work that much better.

Didn't know this existed. Will have to look for Overboard

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
My homescreen has all the default apps in the default arrangement, with iBooks added at the end. My dock is default. My second page is productivity applications arranged not only by how often they are used, but also by colour (for example: blue apps on the top like Numbers, Pages, Adobe Ideas & dictionary, then in the second row they fade to greens, yellows, browns and a column of red begins down the left side). Third page is fun apps like games and musical instruments, also arranged by colour.

What can I say I am an artist; I obey the colour spectrum.

jhkingsr

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2007
NC
I've got 8 screens set up and have different categories for each (Games, Productivity, Entertainment, Utilities, etc.....). I found out how to get the extra screens by accident. When you move a app icon to the last screen, just continue sliding it to right edge, hold it there, and viola, a new screen appears! It really helps in keeping the apps organized.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008

Overboard.jpg

where is overboard? I can't seem to find it.

macrobat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
i do mine by color for some reason easier for me and looks perttie. I also organize my books that way little a.r. like that.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You can download apps?!

I thought all I had was the default few on the front! :p

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iphone-os-4-0213-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0218-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0221-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0225-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0233-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0239-rm-eng.jpg

iphone-os-4-0122-rm-eng.jpg

BJ

May give up on trying to organize myself on the iPad here. LOL Have 9 screens as of right now trying to find the best way to organize things. Folders would be so neat. Just have to wait here for 4.0 for the iPad. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.