Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaffa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I'm not able to see the option to update to the new home architecture even after I have updated all my devices, but I have feeling that I might have already been upgraded.

To give you some background, I had issues with syncing of scenes and automations between my hubs so I the final resort was to nuke my entire home with the configuration profile provided by Apple. At the time all my devices were running iOS 16.1 except a single iPad which was running iPadOS 16.2. I ran the profile and reset my Home on my iPhone running 16.1.

After completely resetting the HomeKit side of things I could not for the life of me invite my partner until I signed her Apple ID on the iPad running 16.2 beta and could then finally accept the home invitation. I no longer have any devices running a beta OS.

My theory is that when HomeKit on my account was completely wiped and I created a new home it automatically created it in the new home architecture, but I don't know how to check that this is the case. Does anyone how I can validate this?

readyaimfire

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2021
Tap the circle with three dots in the top right corner in the iOS home app.

Tap “home settings”

Scroll down until you see “update…”.

I can’t recall the exact wording, but you need to tap that to update to the new architecture. The owner of the home needs to do the update (I’m guessing), and devices need to be on the latest software to control the home and send/accept invitations. I’m updated, and I’m unable to see my mom’s home until she updates her Apple TVs.

Jaffa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
That’s the thing, I don’t have the option to update it. Yet I haven’t explicitly performed an update either.

readyaimfire

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2021
That’s the thing, I don’t have the option to update it. Yet I haven’t explicitly performed an update either.
I’d think it’s already updated too, but I’m only technical enough to troubleshoot enough to keep things running smoothly. I’d try asking on the HomeKit Reddit sub. Sorry I couldn’t provide any real answers.

Jaffa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
All good mate. I tried posting in the HomeKit sub but my post got deleted, not sure why since my karma is fine 😕

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Update your main IOS device to 16.2. Then go to the software updates tab of the home app. Tap on it, and you will see a blurb there saying that there is an update available for your home. Dont do it if you have any device in your house which cannot be updated to 16.2 or Mac OS Ventura 13.1, because they will be kicked out from your home and incapable of even access the home app again. That´s why its optional.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
All my devices are already on 16.2.

Including Apple TVs and Homepods (if you have any)?

Go to the home app, software updates and check there.

mach

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
If I am using my iPad as a home hub, does 16.2 break that?

I remember reading during the beta that this would break using an iPad as a home hub, pushing people to buy a HomePod instead. Does anyone know?

Billberryjuice

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
UK
If I am using my iPad as a home hub, does 16.2 break that?

I remember reading during the beta that this would break using an iPad as a home hub, pushing people to buy a HomePod instead. Does anyone know?
I believe 16.2 won't break it, but upgrading to the new architecture will (you have to manually upgrade once all your devices are on 16.2).

geo.

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2019
Also make sure you are the owner of your home otherwise if you are an invited member or admin you won’t see anything to upgrade.

Jaffa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Also make sure you are the owner of your home otherwise if you are an invited member or admin you won’t see anything to upgrade.
I am the owner.

Honestly, I think based on the series of events my home is already on the new architecture, I just want to validate.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
I am the owner.

Honestly, I think based on the series of events my home is already on the new architecture, I just want to validate.
Do you have an ATV? go to settings on it then System - software update - update. this will show you the current version. If your not seeing a update available in the Home app then you are on the latest version.

Jaffa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Ended up running a bunch of Wireshark captures which confirmed that HomeKit traffic is definitely getting funnelled through the active home hub rather than direct to devices, so looks like I am indeed on the new architecture as expected

Polimo

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2017
I am compliant to all remarks above but I also don't see any sign of an upgraded Home-app status. I also don't see any positive effect on the operation op my home. Small errors are still there and an increased speed is invisible to me?

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
Small errors are still there and an increased speed is invisible to me?
I don't see any increased speed, but there's a bit of an improvement in the Home app in general for me. HomeKit has always worked well in my home except for some glaring errors like cameras not recording after a while (notably after the router or a hub restarts) or how I would open the Home app and my accessories would show the incorrect state.

Lights that are currently on due to automation are being reported as off for example when I come back to the Home app. To correct this I would have to close the Home app and open it again (or in rare cases force quit if closing doesn't do it) to force the Home app to poll the current state of my accessories properly, but ever since the architecture update this problem hasn't happened again. My accessories are now always reporting the correct state when I open the Home app. On the other hand, I haven't had any of my cameras stop recording since the architecture update as well, but I feel I need to continue monitoring for a bit longer to see if it really is fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.