Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Definitely eager to see 4K displays for an improved VR experience. I notice a slight improvement even between my S7 with its slightly higher pixel density over my S7 Edge. However, I'm not sure I will necessarily invest in a 4K phone just to do VR. I'd like to try demo units, though.

For my day to day utility, I find less eye strain using any iOS device I own. I don't know why. With my odd migraine issues I get the oddest results.

One day I was having nausea and seizure migraines so I said what the hell, can't get any worse, so I strapped on the Samsung VR goggles and toured some houses and reefs and flew over New York City in 3D and had a grand old time until my phone overheated. I felt great in VR and then my migraine and nausea came back when I came back to actual reality but not as bad. I have a neurologist. I give HER headaches trying to make sense of my brain. So go figure.

I find I prefer to reserve my two Galaxy phones for VR use. I'm back to using an iPhone for my "daily driver" especially for iMessage utility. My HTC 10 still has the best sound and phone connectivity so in a few days I'll be putting my secondary phone sim back into it so I can go back to using it to actually talk to people. Which isn't that often, lol.

I'm not saying my Galaxy phones are only good for VR. But VR is heating them up and taking a toll on battery lifespan, I'm sure. I can never predict which VR app will give me the dreaded shut down notice. So I'm reserving my free S7 Edge and relatively inexpensive S7 for the life killing VR use. Plus my other two phones aren't made for VR use and have only 1080p.

Given my experience with phones and VR, I think VR is super fun and I'm all in for it, but I think if I had only one phone to depend on, I would not do this to that one and only phone. And 2016 was a year to experiment. I do not intend to keep up four smart phones after this bunch does on me. In the future it's going to be two at most. Ideally I'd like to get back to one.

So at some point just before my Galaxy phones start to die, I'll also be looking into dedicated VR systems that don't need a whole room to set up in and that don't cost a fortune.

Because I'm just not sure if the future of VR is optimally entwined with smart phones. I don't know if the average consumer would be willing to fry their phones on a regular basis and therefore keep the manufacturers willing to invest in keeping their phones optimized for VR.

I never had any heating issues with VR on the S7 Edge, even after hours of playing time. Same with the Note 7.

But the S6 Edge would heat up too quickly on VR, to the point I had to put the AC on full blast just to get a good 30 minutes before display starts skipping and freezing.

I think mobile VR is the way to get consumers to get into dedicated VR, since dedicated VR is pretty expensive at the moment and you need a decent spec PC. Mobile VR is also the quickest way to get developers attention.

Reactions: Klyster

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I never had any heating issues with VR on the S7 Edge, even after hours of playing time. Same with the Note 7.

But the S6 Edge would heat up too quickly on VR, to the point I had to put the AC on full blast just to get a good 30 minutes before display starts skipping and freezing.

I think mobile VR is the way to get consumers to get into dedicated VR, since dedicated VR is pretty expensive at the moment and you need a decent spec PC. Mobile VR is also the quickest way to get developers attention.
My experiences with overheating varied and involve my non-Edge S7 that does not tend to heat up outside of VR. I had a loaner S7 during the Note 7 recall mess that constantly randomly overheated to the point of actually burning my skin pink. My current S7 doesn't do that even when it "overheats" in VR. It merely feels very warm to me but I'll get the warning that it's going to shut down. So I think there is some considerable variance between units as to whether or not they're going to overheat under certain circumstances and how they're going to respond if they do. My previous S7 never shut down despite getting hot enough to rival my curling iron. I'm so glad to be rid of that blasted phone. Of course I suppose the shutdown notice is part of the VR app and not the OS.

As to why my S7 overheated at times, I think sometimes it was because it was downloading some of the apps before I got to play them. One time it was downloading updates for other apps in the background. I need to check to see if I failed to enable the gaming mode that is supposed to prevent the latter from happening.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Looking forward to Samsung's 4K AMOLED HDR quality screens soon. People said the same thing about QHD and FHD on phones, yet here we are with 4K about to become a flagship standard in a year or two.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
My first S7 was very hot on skin and only lasted 4 days until black out, would only boot to green text like a 3270 from 1980 era then not even that. The replacement was fine, had a higher version is string.

Read they were using some form of liquid cooling. With the power Mac g5 that had LCS it was 50/50 you'd have issue.

Current phone Huawei uses kirin 960. Nice comparisons on processors:

http://gsminsider.com/2016/11/snapd...n-820-vs-exynos-8890-vs-helio-x25-comparison/

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Looking forward to Samsung's 4K AMOLED HDR quality screens soon. People said the same thing about QHD and FHD on phones, yet here we are with 4K about to become a flagship standard in a year or two.

There is no doubt Samsung will nail the 4K experience. Personally, for me. I have no desire for 4K. But I would be interested in seeing Samsungs version in person.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I remember posts like this with regards to 2K Display on phones, and here we are with our 2K display phones running just fine.

Main use for 4K Display is VR.

If you don't like advancement of Screen tech you can always get an iPhone.

Yeah, because every single phone running android is 2k or higher? Right?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, because every single phone running android is 2k or higher? Right?

2K is considered the standard for many Android flagships: LG G5, HTC 10, Pixel XL, Nexus 6P, Galaxy S7/S7E, Axon 7, Moto X 2015, etc. Nobody said a Moto G will have QHD in 2017.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.