Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aston06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
I'd consider myself a fairly savvy shopper, but when I get ready to buy a new phone I find it kind of hard to feel comfortable I got the best deal. I like eBay if I'm buying the phone outright or I keep an eye places like slickdeals, but there just seems like there has to be a better way.

How does the wiser bunch here go about it?

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Separate the purchase of the iPhone from the contract. Around iPhone launch you’ll overpay on contracts that come with the new handsets, so buying outright from Apple and then buying a SIM only contract gets you the best price (at least in the UK.)

Reactions: Glmnet1

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
What KrisLord said, it allows you to always be on the strong end of the contract negotiation and you often end up paying less for the phone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'd consider myself a fairly savvy shopper, but when I get ready to buy a new phone I find it kind of hard to feel comfortable I got the best deal. I like eBay if I'm buying the phone outright or I keep an eye places like slickdeals, but there just seems like there has to be a better way.

How does the wiser bunch here go about it?

Just my opinion, but I would Purchase a new iPhone in person versus online, unless it's from Apple or a reputable third party vendor. eBay is a risk anymore.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I went to Apple and purchased a Verizon IUP iPhone X. I would of traded my 6S in a Verizon for $300 credit but, truthfully I don’t want to give up my 6S. It has been a fabulous phone and it will make an amazing iPod or backup phone. I’d rather deal with Apple than Verizon and considering I wasn’t taking advantage of the deal it was an easy choice

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Agree with member "KrisLord". I buy direct from Apple and opt for the sim free version. And I stay far away from eBay. As has been stated, too many bad apples hang out there. (no pun intended)

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
You may be able to negotiate a discount from the carrier if you don't mind getting locked into a 2-year contract.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It all depends on what you want, or need. It can be a very individual process. Signal at home is important to me, so before Wi-fi calling I could only go with provider that supports a femtocell at base. Now Wi-fi calling is more prevelant and at least for iPhones not limited to those provided by the network it opens it up.

But then again then it also depends on your usage, some networks allow for lots of international travel where you can use your minutes, data like you were at home.

So there is no fixed answer. It simply depends on what you require.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.