Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
Ask and ye shall receive

EricNau said:
I think it is good that Gmail regulates it like this, but it can also be a a pain. I wanted to set up a second account (one for home, one for church) and it was a pain. I had to find someone to invite me, again!

Use your account for a few days (or weeks) and you'll perpetually have 50 or 100 invitations left to give out. Even when you give out some, the "cup will be filled to brim in a matter of days." :) I was actually wondering a few weeks back if there were still some people on this planet who wanted a gmail account but didn't have one! :D With the refilled invitation count, I figure it's just a matter of some months before everyone who wanted an account would somehow get it. Getting a gmail account has never been easier. :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
dogbone said:
Why didn't you send an invite to yourself from your new gmail account?
I tried everything to get that second account.
First, I tried sending an invite to my old aol account (the same one I got the original invite on) - That didn't work.
Then, I tried sending the invite to myself (at my own google account) - that didn't work.
Finally, I just had a friend send me an invite to my gmail account - that worked, so now I have two.
The weird part was, when they kept turning me down, it was after I had already made account (I know it doesn't make sense). So it would create the account for me (using up the username I wanted), but anytime I tried accessing it, it gave me an error such as "...The invite you received was at an address already used..."

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
wiseguy27 said:
Use your account for a few days (or weeks) and you'll perpetually have 50 or 100 invitations left to give out. Even when you give out some, the "cup will be filled to brim in a matter of days." :) I was actually wondering a few weeks back if there were still some people on this planet who wanted a gmail account but didn't have one! :D With the refilled invitation count, I figure it's just a matter of some months before everyone who wanted an account would somehow get it. Getting a gmail account has never been easier. :)
I had 100 invites, it just wouldn't let me use them on myself.
(read above)

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
EricNau said:
I didn't know that, thanks.
Why does google do it that way, what does owning a cell phone prove to them that you deserve e-mail, I just don't get it. :confused:
You have to keep in mind that Google seeks to collect all possible information from all sources (for what purpose, is debatable). So once you use your cell phone and sign up, now they have a sure fire way (ok, not 100% but pretty close) to associate your cell phone number to your email address.

There are some privacy concerns amongst some people in the way gmail uses google cookies - this in layman's terms means that if you login to gmail and do a search on google later, even weeks or months later, without clearing your browser cookies, then Google would be able to associate your email address with the searches you've done. Of course, digging into the emails would also say a lot about a person, but this is additional information that Google could use to make their advertising more profitable.

Anyway, Gmail by itself is really cool and unobtrusive. It's not just the 2+ GB space - the user interface and the overall design is really good. It's probably one of the best (if not the best) free web based email systems!

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
EricNau said:
I had 100 invites, it just wouldn't let me use them on myself.
(read above)
It might be because you sent the invitations to email addresses that had already used an invitation. I've used my invitations to create additional accounts by sending invites to my other email addresses (like yahoo or hotmail etc.). I haven't had any issues in doing it.

What I gather from your post is that you haven't tried sending an invite to an email address that never received an invite and used it (gmail invites are valid for a few weeks).

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
If this isn't too off-topic, I'm curious to know why people like gmail so much. I've had an account for a few weeks now; aside from the free POP3 access and forwarding, I don't see any significant improvement vs. Yahoo!.

Am I missing something?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
mac_2005 said:
If this isn't too off-topic, I'm curious to know why people like gmail so much. I've had an account for a few weeks now; aside from the free POP3 access and forwarding, I don't see any significant improvement vs. Yahoo!.

Am I missing something?

...it's from google!
2 gigs of storage!

umm...
it's from GOOGLE!

/Google, I love you!
//be my valentine!

andcraig

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
I think one of the reasons they have open sign ups over cell phones is so that spammers can't set up a bot to sign up for hundreds of gmail accounts and use them to spam people from.

Google's resources used for evil would be so so bad.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
mac_2005 said:

Am I missing something?

The main difference is the interface. It is very fast, less clutter (read less
big-a$$ ads) and is very smart. The way spell checking is implemented will
make you drool. They really utilize web technologies very well to provide a
a nice and easy to use webmail.
Having said so I use POP3+Thunderbird to access my gmail account from my
Mac and occasionally use the webmail when I am away from my machine.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Compile 'em all said:
Having said so I use POP3+Thunderbird to access my gmail account from my
Mac and occasionally use the webmail when I am away from my machine.

Excellent point about spell check. How right you are.

And you're right about the ads, too.

I still find a few things confusing about the Gmail interface, but I don't want to gripe about something that's been given to me free o' charge. Especially when it's still in beta.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
it's so cooooool!!!

Compile 'em all said:

Yes, clicking around in the Gmail interface vs. clicking around in any other web based email system would immediately show the difference! Information caching in the browser combined with the power of Javascript makes Gmail respond 'instantaneously' (example: while reading a mail, click on the 'Inbox' link to see how fast it is). In other systems there would be a "server round trip" to get the information required for the link the user clicked, but Gmail reduces this. As pointed above, spell check is probably the best example of how responsive a "browser based app" could be!

Add to this the concept of labels instead of folders (multiple labels can be attached to a single mail, just like photos are organized with multiple tags in iPhoto). And the marvelous search, of course. And the clutter free screen with just text ads - beats the multiple animated GIF ads and pop up ads and (yikes!) flash ads roaming all over the screen just when you want to click on one of the folders (Yahoo has recently added this annoying item on the web interface, probably wanting to increase the likelihood of an ad being clicked on)!

I love Gmail for bringing a "freshness" into the email space and providing real value to users (if you leave the privacy concerns apart). :)

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
EricNau said:
I didn't know that, thanks.
Why does google do it that way, what does owning a cell phone prove to them that you deserve e-mail, I just don't get it. :confused:

I think it's so that you can only sign up for 1 account

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
desenso said:
I think it's so that you can only sign up for 1 account

Pft, I have over 10 accounts, all for different things.
Spam account, normal email account, college account, stuff for class, etc etc

btw, if anyone needs some gmail, just PM me or email me at violista@gmail.com I'll send one over.

Whistleway

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
Pft, I have over 10 accounts, all for different things.
Spam account, normal email account, college account, stuff for class, etc etc

btw, if anyone needs some gmail, just PM me or email me at violista@gmail.com I'll send one over.

you know you don't really need 10 accounts?

for eg, if you put violista+spam@gmail.com and filter to put in a label 'spam', you can get all your suspect emails. read more on gmail help about the + operator. the email gets delivered still to your account and you can filter it as you wish. sorry, if you already knew this. i just can't fathom checking 10 email accounts everyday.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Whistleway said:

for eg, if you put violista+spam@gmail.com and filter to put in a label 'spam', you can get all your suspect emails. read more on gmail help about the + operator. the email gets delivered still to your account and you can filter it as you wish. sorry, if you already knew this. i just can't fathom checking 10 email accounts everyday.
Can you explain to me how filters work? I don't get it.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Whistleway said:

pft, most I don't check every day.
all the usernames/passwords are saved.

...and I only learned about the violista+spam@gmail.com thing about 2 weeks ago.. :eek:

/I know, I know
//I suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.